A trip to Capitol Peak

Let's try for a trip to Capitol Peak on September 14th. This is a serious 14er, but would be great to do with an experienced group of 6-8 people.

The current plan is to have carpool options for both Friday afternoon and Saturday morning.  Those who can leave Friday will plan to meet at the Wooly Mammoth lot and leave by 5 pm.  

We will camp near the TH - either by tent or by car - and plan to start the day at 3 am on Saturday.  

Those who need to leave Saturday morning should plan to meet at the PNR at about 11:30 PM on Friday evening and then head up.

I will keep an eye on weather and conditions at Capitol to make sure everything is looking reasonable as the day approaches.


Join or login to comment.

  • A former member
    A former member

    I'd be up for sat afternoon (im guessing we wont be able to summit?) or the sunday hike. I only have microspikes so with the snow/ice I might have to join another time depending on how conditions are looking. keep me posted:)

    October 10, 2013

  • Donne P.

    I'm not going to be able to make this trip this time. Stay safe and have fun out there.

    October 10, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Does anyone have directions to the TH

    October 9, 2013

  • Mamta N.

    I would be interested if leaving really early on Sunday, have to work on Saturday.

    October 9, 2013

  • Bryon N changed the time from 5:00 PM to 10:00 AM

    October 8, 2013

  • Bryon N

    I unfortunately cannot make the trip this weekend. I would suggest those still interested meet on Saturday morning at 10 am at the Wooly Mammoth and try to hike up part of the way Saturday afternoon. You should probably be prepared for light snow on the ground, but hopefully Knife Edge will not have any accumulation.

    October 8, 2013

  • Donne P.

    I'm good for leaving later on Friday evening or early Saturday. It looks like it's gonna snow Wednesday - Friday. What does everyone think about this?

    October 8, 2013

  • Zach B

    I'm interested in joining for this hike, but I'm wondering what the snow/ice situation is like on the trail and at the summit. Is everyone planning on treating this like a winter hike; i.e. crampons and ax?

    October 8, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Right now it's looking like sunny and high of 33 on Saturday. I just wanted to see if that sounds good for the group going? Also, I can leave Denver anytime after 9p or ridiculously early Saturday if anyone is available to carpool. Thanks.

    October 8, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Please send me or post all updated info so I can plan. I will be driving from Georgetown. Thanks

    October 8, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    I'd be able to leave Friday night at 9p or saturday. It will be nice to hike with a new group of people.this will be my 6th 14er. Two were winter hikes. Let me know what you think:)

    September 30, 2013

  • Donne P.

    Sounds good to me. Let's hope for good weather.

    September 12, 2013

  • Bryon N

    I will tentatively reschedule this for October 12-13th. It's hard to say how the conditions will be in October. We can check the trip reports and discussion board on 14ers.com to judge whether it will make sense then, or may have to wait till next year.

    September 12, 2013

  • Bryon N changed the date and time from Friday, September 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM to Saturday, October 12, 2013 at 5:00 PM

    September 12, 2013

  • Jessica P.

    It did snow on some of the higher peaks last night. Some groups that were headed up there this weekend have canx their plans. I agree that we should postpone it. I think the mountains are going to be very empty this weekend. The weather is bad everywhere... I can't remember the last time I spent a weekend in Denver! I don't know what to do :)

    September 12, 2013

  • Donne P.

    I think this is a wise decision given the forecast. I agree that going up Saturday and returning Sunday is best. My preference would be to drive up Saturday morning and maybe hike in a little ways to cut some distance on Sunday.
    I'm going to be busy the next few weekends. Will conditions still be good enough in October?

    September 12, 2013

  • Bryon N

    Given the current forecast for Capitol Peak (see below) I am going to suggest we postpone this trip to another weekend. Also, given Richard's comments we might should try for a Saturday drive up and Sunday hike.

    Please feel free to comment if you disagree or have a new date in mind. If we reschedule for this year, we need to do it soon. The current forecast for Capitol Peak:

    Friday Night: Rain showers likely before midnight, then a chance of rain and snow showers. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a low around 38. South southwest wind around 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 60%. New snow accumulation of less than a half inch possible.

    Saturday: A chance of snow showers before noon, then rain and snow showers likely. The rain and snow could be heavy at times. Some thunder is also possible. Cloudy, with a high near 48. West wind 5 to 10 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

    September 12, 2013

  • rtc c.

    My opinion of the best way to climb Capital Peak is to backpack in from the parking areas to informal campsites that are still in the woods just below 11,000 elevation. Sleep the night and start out around 5:30 am. The climb is strenuous even on the easiest route and the knife edge requires climbers to space themselves apart to avoid causing rock slides while approaching the ridge and along it. This is an amazing climb but it is paramount to have enough energy for the knife edge...twice. I do not recommend starting from the parking lot unless you are in excellent physical condition and are well rested.

    September 12, 2013

  • Bryon N

    Hi,

    The weather looks a bit funky for Capitol Peak right now. You can have a look at this link: http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=39.1502648&lon=-107.08310260000002&site=all&smap=1&searchresult=Capitol%20Peak%2C%20White%20River%20National%20Forest%2C%20Colorado%2081654%2C%20USA#.Ui-KacbYeN0

    Let's keep an eye on what develops. To my mind, we may need to reschedule if there is either significant snow accumulation or the conditions on the Knife Edge are going to be wet on Saturday.

    September 10, 2013

    • Jessica P.

      The weather is definitely looking sketchy. I've also been following the discussion on 14ers.com. Some people are going to be near Capitol tomorrow and will post on conditions.

      September 11, 2013

  • Donne P.

    I'll see youse on Friday afternoon. Looking forward to it!

    September 5, 2013

  • Sandra M.

    Sorry, working Friday and can't camp. Have fun!

    September 4, 2013

  • Bryon N

    Hi, There are updated details for the Capitol trip. Please feel free to leave comments if you would like to see some modifications. I think it will be tough to camp at the Lake on Friday, since we'd have to leave early in the day. But we can still try to camp at TH.

    September 4, 2013

  • Bryon N changed the date and time from Saturday, September 14, 2013 at 7:00 AM to Friday, September 13, 2013 at 5:00 PM

    September 4, 2013

  • Bryon N changed the location to Wooly Mammoth Park and Ride

    September 4, 2013

  • Jessica P.

    Are we still camping at trailhead? I would like to camp at the lakes but I work till 5 on Friday

    September 3, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    I am willing to carpool and I am use to leaving early or can camp
    too.

    September 3, 2013

  • Donne P.

    Any word on the status of this one?

    September 3, 2013

  • Jessica P.

    If there was a maybe button I would have checked it. Still trying to decide if I want to save this for my finisher.

    August 22, 2013

  • A former member
    A former member

    Capitol!

    August 19, 2013

  • Paul S.

    My brother is getting married that weekend, otherwise I would be down!

    August 19, 2013

  • Kendra F.

    I would love to do this one, but two many events in Sept. I know Capitol is a major mtn! Would love to join you all soon!

    August 19, 2013

  • Bruce M

    How difficult would this be? Serious rock climbing or just a long hike? It's been a while since I climbed with pitons and carabiners.

    August 19, 2013

  • Donne P.

    Friday evening carpool works for me. I may be able to get some time off so we could leave a little earlier if that's feasible for you.

    August 19, 2013

  • Sandra M.

    Okay with carpooling :-) Thanks

    August 18, 2013

  • Bryon N

    Hi,

    For those who are interested in the Capitol trip please RSVP yes, even if you aren't sure. This will enable the trip to become an official event on Denver 14er Hiking Meetup group. Judging from the distance from Denver to Capitol Peak it may make sense to have carpools for both Friday evening/camp and early Saturday morning. I am open to suggestions.

    Thanks!

    August 18, 2013

  • Sandra M.

    Interested! Available Sept 14th

    August 18, 2013

  • Donne P.

    I would be interested.

    August 16, 2013

5 went

  • Bryon N
    Assistant Organizer
  • A former member
  • A former member
  • A former member

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Create your own Meetup Group

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

We just grab a coffee and speak French. Some people have been coming every week for months... it creates a kind of warmth to the group.

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy