addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrosseditemptyheartexportfacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

20 and 30 somethings in Portland - AWESOME Stuff Message Board › *** MOVING TO PORTLAND ***

*** MOVING TO PORTLAND ***

A former member
Post #: 5
i need information on where i should live. i am 30-40 and want to know where is a best place to live to meet people. i want to make new friends and be welcomed into portland as i am pretty social. i just dont want to move to portland and be isolated. it was something that happened when i moved to seattle 6 years ago and would like to not go through that again. any help would be great!!
A former member
Post #: 22
Depends. It's easy to become isolated anywhere you live. That being said it's easier to get out and meet people if you live in a centralized location (like downtown).
A former member
Post #: 10
beaverton is always a good area or alberta area
A former member
Post #: 6
so are those sub-distracts of downtown?
Shassy
user 57207872
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I just moved here from Utah and I moved to Beaverton, which is just about 20 min away from downtown. I love it, it's a nice area and the city is very close. I would recommend anywhere on the SW side.
A former member
Post #: 6
Jeremiah, can you tell us a little more about yourself and lifestyle (married, kids, career, how much to spend on rent/mortgage). Knowing these things will help us give you some great hoods (or suburbia's).

To avoid isolation, I would suggest a one mile radius of downtown (Burnside and the river). The Pearl, NW 23rd/NW 21st Ave, Hawthorne Blvd, Belmont, Division (west of 60th).
Adam S.
adamschneider
Portland, OR
Post #: 27
It's not very helpful to blindly say "______ is a nice area." I know plenty of people who wouldn't live in Beaverton or Vancouver if you paid them. On the flip side, it's probably not a good idea to move to downtown or to close-in NW if you have a car. A devoutly religious family with 9 kids probably wouldn't be a good fit for Hawthorne.

Everyone is different and will feel at home in different neighborhoods. You really need to come down and scope it out first, even if it's just as a day trip.
A former member
Post #: 870
I agree with Adam. I love living in Vancouver, but to most people I might as well live in another country because it's "so far away." (It's really not).

Another thing to consider is where you will be working and how much time you are willing to spend commuting. You wouldn't want to live in Beaverton if you are going to be working in Gresham, for example, or in Vancouver if you are going to be working in Oregon.