|Sent on:||Monday, April 28, 2014 10:09 AM|
Just a reminder that we're meeting at IKEA New Haven again on Wednesday but we are meeting a little earlier at 6:30pm so we get as much time as possible - last meeting we shut the place down :) Hope to see you then!
- What was your first instinct after finishing Kitchen Confidential? Did you want to run out and eat at Les Halles, never eat at another restaurant again, throw out all of your knives?
- Throughout Bourdain's memoir, he attempts to impart to the reader his adventurous spirit when it comes to trying different types of food. Did he inspire you to try something new? What is the most daring food you have ever eaten?
- How do you think Bourdain defines a "foodie"? Do you agree?
- How have American attitudes toward food changed in the past decade? How are these changes chronicled throughout Kitchen Confidential?
- Bourdain introduces the reader to many of the more elaborate and extreme characters of the cooking world -- Tyrone, the broilerman; "Bigfoot"; Nando, the Rainbow Room's famous pastry chef.... Which are yourfavorites? Who do you hope never touched your food?
- Despite his machismo and unstoppable four-letter language, Bourdain becomes an endearing character himself throughout the course of his memoir. How did you feel as you witnessed his growth throughout Kitchen Confidential? In the end, he claims he is an "asshole." What do you think?
- Bourdain talks about when he first realized "that food was something other than a substance one stuffed in one's face when hungry." What role has food played in your life -- while growing up and today -- beyond simple sustenance? Why are food and psychology so inextricably linked in our lives?
- Despite the celebrity chefs that abound today, do you think that Bourdain typifies the lifestyle of the normal chef?
- Are you -- or have you ever been -- in the food industry? If so, how apt are Bourdain's descriptions of the life?
- What was Bourdain's most helpful piece of advice for you as a home cook?
- If you could punch one character/person from the book in the face who would that be?
- Did you like the book? Would you recommend it to others?