3D Hubs in Eindhoven Message Board › How to get extruded ABS to stick to print bed ?

How to get extruded ABS to stick to print bed ?

Jeroen B.
user 111966102
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 3

Last week i started to print with ABS, but i have a problem that the ABS does not stick to the printbed.
I have a heated print bed with kapton tape.

How can i solve this problem, what is the best solution ?
Robert V.
RobertVissers
Nuenen, NL
Post #: 8
Hi Jeroen,

ABS can be quite tricky..

Things you might check:

1. Bed
a) I'm keeping the bed temperature on 82 degrees celcius. (80 is also OK - but 82 works better for me)
b) The surface ... it's a glass plate, I'm using stickers.
(type: Avery, Transparant, inkjet, 210 x 297 mm, Productnummer: J8567-25)
The sticker lasts +- a month, depending on the models of course.
Additional, I'm using hairspray. I'm applying when the bed is roomtemperature. I've made a cardboard funnel that allows me to apply the spray ONLY to the bed and not the rest of the printer. The hairspray should be re-applied after .. prints.

2. Height/calibration bed<>extruder(s)
a) the height is critical, when the default distance between the extruder(s) and the bed is too big (0.1 mm, the filament will not stick, first layer should be flat-isch. Try to descrease the distance to see the differences. Testing is good. It's worth the time spend.
b) Note - in case of dual-extruder > do this of for BOTH.... (take your time to get it right)
Additional for dual-extruder.. you might also want to checken the x/y-offsets.. (and not only the z)

3. Printing a raft.
In Repetier there is an option to print a raft. This is basically a set of layers (supportmat) before the real object is printed. This reduces warping. But.. this is only helpfull when the first layer is sticking in a good way.

Let me know, if this is somehow not working for you.

Good luck, have a good weekend, Cheers,

Robert
Jeroen B.
user 111966102
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 5
Hello Robert,

When i read your tips, i think the first problem i have is the heatbed which is to cold.
Thats is what i must change first.

Thanks for your reply!

Nice weekend,
Jeroen

Robert V.
RobertVissers
Nuenen, NL
Post #: 9
Hi Jeroen,

I started using PLA last Saturday...
Bed temperature to room temperature (later on 40 degrees)

What is the best way to have PLA sticking?
Especially for small objects it 's in 50% working good.

Do you have a hint?

Alvast bedankt, groeten,
Robert

Jeroen B.
user 111966102
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 7
Hi Robert,

My printbed is about 60 degrees, i start heating 15 minutes before printing, i clean the kapton with spirit.
Mostly, i print the first layes 5 to 10 degrees hotter .

Regards, Groetjes,
Jeroen

Robert V.
RobertVissers
Nuenen, NL
Post #: 10
Thanks for the hint!...
braun
Brunottino
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 7
the distance is real critical . i had problem with sticking at first and saw very fast that filament was not pushed on printbed. i lowered may be to much (first layer was transparent may be 0.05 mm instead of 0.3 it should have been) but it stiked goed . still printing at the moment my first object
braun
Brunottino
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 8
lowering the temperature with 5 to 10 degres and increasing filament ratio with 0.03 to 0.005 may help .
Robert V.
RobertVissers
Nuenen, NL
Post #: 12
What about a good raft-height?..
I've noticed that a layer of 2-3 is good for relative small objects (5 cm diameter)- what about bigger objects (12cm) is a layer of 6 suffiction to prevent warping?

Thanks - (and trying now - PLA and ABS-style)
braun
Brunottino
Eindhoven, NL
Post #: 10
if a part of your problem is that the bottom piece bols up . infill before perimeter solve the problem event for big surfaces .