We will take the docent tour of one of the most well-known American female artists - Georgia O'keeffe at the de Young museum to see her paintings during the Lake George period. Have a lunch at the museum Cafe and then have an optional short walk at the Golden Gate Park to visit Stow Lake, Lloyd Lake and Rainbow Fall. Another optional visit to the Japanese Tea Garden to experience the tranquility and harmony of a Japanese-style garden.
10:00: Arrive at the De Young:
- Sign up the docent immediately. Meet the group at the Docent Sign Up area.
10:00 – 11:15: Free time: A few things you can do for this 1+ hours:
- MUST GO: Take an elevator to the top of the floor to see the 360-degree view.
- Stroll in the museum to check out the permanent collections. Link of the De Youg’s collections: http://deyoung.famsf.org/deyoung/collections
- Take another docent tour at 10:30: Three Masterpieces in Thirty Minutes. Docent calendar for 5/3 is here: http://deyoung.famsf.org/calendar/2014-05-03
11:30: Georgia O’Keeffe docent:
- Please arrive before 11:20 and bring your ticket. It needs to be scanned again.
- Your special exhibition ticket has no re-entry privilege so if you sign up the later docent, please stay inside the exhibition area or arrive the special exhibition area later.
- The video is worth to watch
- If you are unable to sign up on the docent, please stand closer to the docent, buy an audio tour, or sign up 1:00 docent. It’s important that you have some introduction of the personal life of O’keeffe’s and her paintings so you don’t see a red curve and a circle is just a red curve and a circle but sun and sun rise.
12:30: Lunch at the De Young Café:
- The de Young Café, with its inviting view of the Barbro Osher Sculpture Garden, offers soups, salads, sandwiches, and hot entrees
- Reservation is not allowed. Buy your own food and find a table for the group.
- Special Georgia O’keeffe menu is available: http://deyoung.famsf.org/files/okeeffemenu_0.pdf
1:30: Optional 2.3 miles hike in the Golden Gate Park.
- Route map: http://goo.gl/QTQl6W
- You will see lake, birds, pagoda, waterfalls, streams and beautiful nature.
3:00: Optional Japanese Tea Garden: $7 entry fee
Admission fee is $28 for adults and free for DeYoung/LOH members.
Please buy the ticket of May 3,[masked]:30AM as soon as you can. If 11:30 is sold out, you can buy the ticket of 11:15AM. Once you buy the ticket, please post it to the message board and I will move you out from the Waiting List.
Order Ticket Online from here: https://tickets.famsf.org/public/show_events_list.asp?shcode=234
Please arrive de Young before 10:00AM. Parking is difficult if you don’t plan to park in their garage. Bring your ticket to the Docent Counter and ask to add your name to the 11:30AM O'Keeffe Docent Tour immediately after you arrive the museum. It’s a first come first served basis with limited number of 20 people. We are compete with other art lovers outside of our group so please do sign up immediately after you arrive the museum. If you can’t be added to the 11:30 Docent Tour and you really want to have a docent tour (which I really recommend), you have three options:
1. Just follow us and hear from the docent without the ear pieces
2. Buy an audio and follow us
3. Sign up for the 1:30 docent.
Botanical Garden: $7 for adults; http://www.golden-gate-park.com/botanical-garden.html
Japanese Garden: $7 for adults; http://japaneseteagardensf.com/visit.php
Shakespeare Garden: Free; http://www.golden-gate-park.com/garden-of-shakespeares-flowers.html
Park official site: http://www.golden-gate-park.com/
Guide from SF Gate: http://www.sfgate.com/neighborhoods/sf/goldengatepark/
Interactive Map: http://www.golden-gate-park.com/interactive-golden-gate-park-map.html
How to Get There:
GPS Address: 50 Hagiwara Tea Garden Dr, San Francisco, CA 94118o
1. Music Concourse Garage is located next to the museum.
- Entrance: Fulton St. at 10th Avenue.
- Parking charge: $5/hour and $28/max
2. Alternate parking can be found at the below two locations. They are both serviced by the Golden Gate Park Shuttle:
- Ocean Beach: John F. Kennedy Dr. and the Great Highway. Free parking
- UCSF Medical Center Garageo: Irving St. near 3rd Ave. $3.00/hour, $24/max
By Public Transportation System: CalTrain and SF Muni:
- Take the Cal Train arrived San Francisco Station at 8:36.
- Take the N-Judah Muni leaving at 8:44 outside of the SF CalTrain Station. Get off at the 9th Avenue and Irving Street around 9:15.
- 15 minutes’ walk to De Young. Walk north on 9th Avenue to Golden Gate Park. 9th Avenue turns into Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard. Keep walking on Martin Luther King, Jr. Boulevard until you reach Hagiwara Tea Garden Drive, then turn right and continue to the museum entrance.
http://www.beachchalet.com (8 minutes away)
Address: 1000 Great Hwy, San Francisco, CA 94121