Ben & I rode our bikes to Rockaway Beach one afternoon & decided at the last minute to ride to Coney Island (via the Marine Pkwy Bridge) for a Nathan's hotdog. It was a pretty awesome ride, so I'd thought I'd do it again, but this time with a group.
We will all meet up in **Queens (take the R train to Woodhaven Blvd and ride 2 miles south to Metro Ave or J train to Woodhaven Blvd. You can either ride North to Metro or wait there since we are riding past there anyway. Just call once you get there so I know to expect you) and head south on Woodhaven Blvd (which becomes Crossbay Blvd). NOTE: This isn't the safest route, it's direct. Crossbay Blvd is a busy street. Once we get to the bridge, there is a bike lane in the street & a protected bike path along the sidewalk. We can make a quick stop at Bay Gulls if anyone wants and continue our merry way over the Crossbay Bridge via the Ped Path. From there, we can ride to the beach and hang out on the boardwalk or continue our journey to Coney Island.
**Side note: If it is convenient to meet us en route, then please call/text me before hand so I know to look at for you. The original meetup location is more for my convenience since I live 3 miles from there.**
Once in Coney Island we will stop for Nathans if you choose, and if they are open, Coney Island Brewery (a VERY small place but fun nonetheless).
Stuff you need to know:
- This is a ROAD ride, so a road bike or hybrid is best. Mountain bikes will not work very well on this ride.
- From start to finish is approximately 30 miles. We will be riding at a comfortable pace (12-14mph) and obeying the traffic laws.
- Rainy weather cancels.
- Helmets are MANDATORY. No helmet, no ride.
- Bring spare tube, patch kit, pump, CO2 cartridges, etc.
- Money & metrocard (some may want to take the train back from Coney Island)
- Water and snack
- A good attitude. I mean seriously, what a great way to spend a Saturday!