align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

757 Python Users Group Message Board › Sysadmin User Stories

Sysadmin User Stories

Steven Fred L.
s_lott
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 2
Topic for some future meetings: System Admin User Stories.

For example.

Starting VMWare machines.

Starting multitail sessions.

Controlling Celery.

These are vague descriptions. We need better user stories of things admins do.
Michael
chaoticstream
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 1
"subprocess" does the kind of thing I am thinking about...
Opens a shell terminal window (rxvt), starts the command "multitail /var/log/messages" in the window.

Only works on linux. rxvt and multitail must be on the system in the path. Need to do things for error handling and such. I haven't tried to use subprocess on a windows box to see if a cmd window would open correctly and run a command in the window.

import subprocess
subprocess.Popen(['rxvt', '-e', 'multitail', '/var/log/messages'])
A former member
Post #: 5
Not a topic to speak of, but I remember Mike having interest on how to start/stop VMs programmatically. The following seemed pretty interesting and stable enough to use. Possibly a good project for fork and make work for all the extra stuff that Mike may need.

Starting VMWare machines.
http://code.google.co...­
Steven Fred L.
s_lott
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 3
Looked at it. It does work. But. It's got pretty severe problems, also.

The VMWare VIX is rather more complex than this can support. However, it does point in an interesting direction.

So.

Next month, we can look at ctypes and how to use ctypes to control VIX and VMWare.
Michael
chaoticstream
Virginia Beach, VA
Post #: 2
pyvmware applies to VMware server. VMware server is a free offering from VMware designed to compete against the free offerings from other vendors. VMware offers several API interfaces. In the past they have been using perl for a higher level scripting language. Now they are offering Java and .Net programming interfaces as well. I have been working with ESXi and VMware workstation for the most part.

I am interested in working with ctypes which is what pyvmware is using. Although when working at that level the programmer has to start working for a living... handling socket connections, open and closing things, memory, etc.
Steven Fred L.
s_lott
Mc Lean, VA
Post #: 4

I am interested in working with ctypes which is what pyvmware is using. Although when working at that level the programmer has to start working for a living... handling socket connections, open and closing things, memory, etc.

Actually, it's not so bad. The VIX interface actually handles the low-level details nicely. The idea is that the underlying VIX C libraries remain intact. Instead of using Perl to get at the libraries (or worse, writing C code), we can use Python and ctypes and have a pretty pleasant scripting experience.