add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

9 Bridges - PDX Message Board › Thoughts on another meeting time/ place

Thoughts on another meeting time/ place

Elizabyth H.
user 13542208
Portland, OR
Post #: 19
Hi Everyone,

We're at that wonderful place again where the group is growing and we will soon need another meeting to accommodate all of our talented writers. Both the Wednesday and Saturday meetings are pretty big now and the idea is being tossed about to start another meeting. We'd probably want to keep it around the downtown area. We'll need a quiet (ish) space that can hold about 15-20 people and is open for regular meetings once a week and two people who can commit to being there at every meeting. Also chime in about times and days that work best for you.

user 66802232
Portland, OR
Post #: 2
Happy Martin Luther King Jr. Day!

There are hundreds of great places to hold CHWG meetings, other meeting groups seem to find them effortlessly. There are many many banquet, annex, auxiliary, extra, utility rooms in restaurants, bars, medical complexes, schools, churches, community centers, designated meeting halls and rooms, there's even a beautiful conference room at Doug Fir with windows on the entrance patio. Free and weekly may be a problem for some, but not all. We can do this, if we work together.

There are meeting and conference room/venue websites and services. And there are venues that other groups use that may have other openings which we could piggyback on.

I'm going to go out on a limb and toss in the idea that most of us do not want to conduct a venue hunt on our own, it's too presumptive and there are too many variables that one or more people would find intolerable. So let's make it a group effort. Let's make a list of possible venues ~ posted and accessible for additions ~ and democratically choose the best ones to pursue. And then who ever can (or must) arrange the deal can do so. Otherwise, we are going to be told that we have found some new place, without input, and be obligated/forced/doomed to endure a problematic venue just because it was available and decided on.

Personally, I would prefer a place in which we don't have to worry about noise or tender ears, in the NE or SE, between 39th and 122nd, and Fremont and Powell, nice if it had cheap eats & drinks (but not essential), on/near a Bus or Max line (but with a bike I can get almost anywhere, weather permitting). Many imperfections can be remedied if we have the freedom to make temporary convertible adjustments, or simply be adjusted to. But I'm flexible. Keep in mind, no place is perfect and we won't please everybody

Just to prime the pump I'll throw out a few places (I found a bunch by checking other group meetings) just to get things started:

Chinese Village
Providence (Glisan)
Candlelight (NE)
Montavilla Community Center
PCC: Portland Metropolitan Workforce Training Center
5600 NE 42nd | Southeast Center
2305 SE 82nd and Division | Cascade
12 X 12 Club (NE 70th & Glisan)
Samuel Johnson Memorial Hall
Metropolitan Community Church
The Rosewood (Central City Concern)
Gateway Park and Ride
Augustana Lutheran Church (NE 14th & Knott)
SE Uplift Bldg (Handicap friendly)
Tabor Heights Methodist Church (HF)
Reed College
Mt. Tabor Presbyterian Church
St. Francis School
City Team International
Tabor Space (SE 54th & Belmont)
PDX Parks & Recreation (Customer Service 503-823-PLAY (7529))
Public meeting rooms | Multnomah County Library­
and many more...

Come On there are hundreds more possible venues out there, don't keep them secret!

(I could not find this discussion on FB ~ facebook.)
user 112379032
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
Hello. I've called a couple places this week--the Charles Jordan Community Center, but they charge--18 an hour. And some Baptist church downtown who also charges. The problem with the library is they don't do regular weekly bookings. I left a message with the unitarian church downtown, but I have a feeling even the unitarians want money.

The most important thing is the noise--I'm having a real hard time hearing everybody at the coffee shop. So maybe we should start with Robert's list--add and check off places till we find somewhere quiet and free?

Excited about the idea of another group. Thursday night would be great but I'm flexible.
user 66802232
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
Lots of views (58), only a few replies (8), what's up??

Please make any suggestion. Or perhaps you can inquire about a possible venue, report what you find out, and one of us can follow up. We can do this People! Team Work!
Elizabyth H.
user 13542208
Portland, OR
Post #: 20
If we have it on a different day/time than an existing meeting, will this help the crowding or will people just come to this one in addition to the others? I'm just curious to see what our options are.....
user 128017532
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I know a few places in SE that might work. I figure I'll just chime in to keep the discussion going:

Bar Carlo (foster powell) is usually pretty sedate on weeknights and I know the owner, they also have 2 sections to their space and usually have one closed-off on weeknights. I can look at other places in the area but SE, real SE, might be a bit of a commute for some of you.

As far as the times go, I like the current times for both groups.
Elizabyth H.
user 13542208
Portland, OR
Post #: 21
SE isn't a bad option as we don't have a group meeting in SE and I know there are people who live out there (Mark and I being some of them). We held meetings at our house for a while and we had a nice group form out of them. Some of those people now commute to Saturday and Weds. Can you look into the possibility of a weeknight in the closed off section? If it's closed off enough and an over 21 venue, we could look at lifting PG-13 restrictions.

user 112379032
Portland, OR
Hello. Just checkin in with an update--I called some places on Robert's list, etc. But most places charge--the cheapest being Tabor Heights Methodist Church @ 6161 SE Stark St. They have rooms for $33 a month available tues, thurs, and fri. Probably no one's on board with that? I'm open to something in SE. I'd prefer the silence of a church but it's looking like that's a tall order. Jonathan, there's not a jukebox playing at Bar Carlo?

PS--This whole quest reveals something terribly wrong with the structure of our communal world. Why are bars and churches the designated spaces for intimacy? Alcoholics meet at bars, recovering alcoholics meet at churches, and neither are free . . .

I'll be in the cave staring at fire if you should need me.
user 66802232
Portland, OR
Post #: 4

So sorry I mentioned this on the (public) Sat-CHWG-MU site and it had to be "taken down," there just seems to be no end to the horrors... THE HORRORS of my recklessness.

It seems most people like to go to one MU a week at a specific place. I would go to all of them.

Bar Carlo on Foster has a delightfully sleazy ring to it, but I, too, would worry about ZZ Top interludes. It might work ~ if not, there are lots LOTS of places we can do this in, just wait'n for us. A little closer-in and Tri-Met friendly, *Chinese Village has a quiet banquet room that is rarely used, SE Stark & 82nd (Avenue Of Roses) *(503) 253-7545. Between *Miyamoto Sushi and Roscoes on SE Stark & 81st is a perfect little ex-restaurant space, it's quiet and has wonderful happy hour & reg services *(503) 208-2253. Surely anybody could find better candidates. Although, fresh happy hour catfish sliders & oyster shooters ~ full Chinese menu and best cheap drinks in PDX, are fucking hard to beat.

PS--Unfortunately, there's not much of a quest, yet, which reveals a reticence, fear or (worst of all) indifference to joining-in or taking-charge. i-alone. I thought writers thought, thoughtful, societal, socially.

Let me know how I can help, while I'm waking-up sleepyheads from this 2014 1% anesthesia.
A former member
It just so happens I have a date at Roscoe's on Thursday, so I will check that out while I am there.