align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

9 Bridges - PDX Message Board › Two unknown speakers

Two unknown speakers

Shelly
user 8650790
Portland, OR
Post #: 1
I'm writing a scene in my thriller novel with the antagonist and another person and don't quite want to identify them just yet (although it'll be clear that they're the "bad guys"). I don't want to tag Man 1, Man 2. I've given them some identifying characteristics that I might be able to incorporate in instead of name tags. It's a short scene. Does anyone have any suggestions and/or can you direct me to some books where the author pulls this off well?

Thanks!
Shelly
Elizabyth H.
user 13542208
Portland, OR
Post #: 22
I've done this before pretty effectively. You need to give them something in their voices that will differentiate the two speakers. Maybe one has a deep voice and the other a high-pitched nasally whine. Maybe one has a more formal way with their speech or uses certain slang words. Identifying characteristics work pretty well - body language is good too. If you can figure out what defines your two speakers, then it's pretty easy to write a scene without naming anyone. I've written entire stories where the characters don't have names. If you are going to identify them later, then you can leave clues now as to who they are by their speech.
Chen
user 53838122
Portland, OR
Post #: 3
That's really insightful!
Tina W.
Tinamwriter
Portland, OR
Post #: 40
I'd like to suggest you buy Jessica Morrell's Bullies, Bastards & Bitches book. It's an excellent resource for heroes and anti-heroes. I just bought it after some great recommendations. I've had a breakthrough on something I didn't do before.