There are several types of insurance that divers need to understand. Some home owners, property or medical insurance do not cover you while you are diving. In the unlikely event that you were to have an issue it could get very expensive very quick not being covered by some type of insurance. The following is a brief overview of what each type is.
DAN IS MY BUDDY
Diver Accident Insurance
DAN is my Buddy program offers new divers (aka students) FREE Coverage during your training from pool to open water training. However the moment that you become certified you are no longer covered. It is a program that introduces you to DAN and their offerings. It is a no brainier, it is free and well worth it.
- Dive Accident insurance usually covers in-water skin and scuba diving injuries occurring at any depth+, accidental death and dismemberment benefits resulting from a covered diving illness or injury++, and permanent total disability benefits resulting from a diving illness or injury++ incurred at any depth.
- Coverage for eligible charges from the treatment of non-diving accidents outside your home country.
- Coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip cancellation before departure.
- Coverage for injured person's losses incurred for trip interruptions after departure.
- Some insurance will pay for additional accommodations, airline ticket and lost dive equipment coverage, to ease the sting of these incidental losses.
Some of the more common benefits that this insurance provides coverage for are the following: flood damage to your camera equipment, stolen equipment, lost luggage with the airlines, and accidental damage to your equipment.
Lost luggage is by far the most common problem with any travel and scuba trips are no exception.
Trip insurance covers trip cancellation and interruption, tour cost, travel delay, baggage & personal effects, baggage delay, medical expenses, accidental death & dismemberment, and travel help. Other coverages can be collision damage waiver, umbrella package, doubles medical expense coverage, and upgrades medical coverage.
If your trip is to a remote location and is somewhat expensive, then this coverage is something you should consider.
Some life insurance policies will not cover you in scuba diving. You should review all your insurance policies to understand what they do and do not cover.. There are life insurance policies that will cover you. It is important that for the well being of you and your loved one that you understand what is and is not covered.
Of course DAN is your one stop shop for all your insurance needs and to do a darn good job of taking care of their divers in times of great need. Because you never know if or when something might happen.