2 Days $95
Instructor: Rich Carlson
ART of Canyoneering Level 1 workshop provides students with the anchor, rigging, technical and problem-solving skills they need to become safe, efficient canyoneers. By the end of the training students should be comfortable descending easy canyons on their own or more challenging canyons with competent leaders.
Skills and techniques covered include:
- canyoneering gear selection, use and care
- knots and hitches for rope, cord and webbing
- efficient movement, climbing and stemming
- belaying and handlines
- utilizing transient anchors for belays and hand-lines
- evaluating and rigging specialized canyoneering anchors and belay systems
- approprieate use of friction and sequencing for marginal anchors
- importance and proper use of tension-releasing hitches and contingency rigging
- rappelling and passive lowering systems
- efficient rope deployment and rigging
- group dynamics and problem solving
- pros and cons of using auto-blocks and prusiks for self-belay
- tips and tricks from Rich's 30+ years canyoneering
- Totem Rigging & Rappelling Device
- VT Prusik
- 6 feet 6mm cord for knot tying and Prusik
- (3-4) Locking HMS (pear shaped) carabiners
- 48 inch (120cm) sewn sling
- Personal Safety Lanyard (e.g. Petzl Spelegyca, Purcell Prusik)
- 30 feet of 1 inch webbing
- (2) 5/16 inch (8mm) QuickLinks
Of course you will also need your harness, helmet, appropriate footwear (approach shoes recommended), leather gloves and a pack to carry your gear. We will be outside most of the time so dress appropriately for the anticipated weather. Layering recommended. Bring at least two quarts of water, lunch and snacks each day.
15% Discount on Gear
If you are missing anything on the Required Gear list, we encourage you to wait and purchase it during the workshop. You will be given a chance to try different combinations of gear to discover what works best for you, plus you will receive a 15% discount on gear purchased during the workshop.
Private Instruction Available
If the workshops on our calendar do not suit your schedule or objectives, you may want to consider private instruction. All of our workshops are available on a private basis and can be customized to match your abilities and objectives, allowing for the utmost personal attention.