2 Days $95
Instructor: Rich Carlson
ART of Canyoneering Level 2 workshop is designed for intermediate to advanced canyoneers. Participants learn and practice specialized anchors, rigging and techniques, along with the critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills required to competently descend technical canyons.
Skills learned prepare students for our Canyon Leader and Canyon Rescue Technician workshops. Also highly recommended as an introduction to canyoneering for SAR team members and professional rock climbing guides.
Skills and techniques covered include:
- advanced knots and hitches for rope, cord and webbing
- specialized rappelling and belaying techniques for canyoneering
- ascending, knot-passing and transitions
- tandem and assisted rappels
- pothole escape techniques
- problem-solving and route finding
- static and dynamic courtesy anchor systems
- appropriate use of friction and sequencing for marginal anchors
- advanced rigging systems for canyoneering
- guided rappels, deviations and rebelays
- multi-pitch rappels
- tips and tricks from Rich's 30+ years canyoneering
Prerequisite: Level 1 Skill Sets
- Totem Rigging & Rappelling Device
- (2) VT Prusiks
- 6 feet 6mm cord for knot tying and Prusik
- (4-5) Locking HMS (pear shaped) carabiners
- (2) 48 inch (120cm) sewn sling
- Personal Safety Lanyard (e.g. Petzl Spelegyca, Purcell Prusik)
- Micri Traxion or Ropeman II
- Mini PMP Pulley (Petzl Partner or Rock Exotica Mini)
- Petzl Tibloc
- 30 feet of 1 inch webbing
- (2) 5/16 inch (8mm) QuickLinks
Of course you will also need your harness, helmet, appropriate footwear (approach shoes recommended), leather gloves and a pack to carry your gear. We will be outside most of the time so dress appropriately for the anticipated weather. Layering recommended. Bring at least two quarts of water, lunch and snacks each day.
15% Discount on Gear
If you are missing anything on the Required Gear list, we encourage you to wait and purchase it during the workshop. You will be given a chance to try different combinations of gear to discover what works best for you, plus you will receive a 15% discount on gear purchased during the workshop.
Private Instruction Available
If the workshops on our calendar do not suit your schedule or objectives, you may want to consider private instruction. All of our workshops are available on a private basis and can be customized to match your abilities and objectives, allowing for the utmost personal attention.