add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Austin Design and Visual Arts Network Message Board › February Meetup Epilogue

February Meetup Epilogue

A former member
Post #: 16
Great meetup. We had eight people of the eighteen RSVP's who showed up. Conversations ran long tonight and we didn't break until around 9:30. I actually have a sore throat from talking too much.

Here are some of the links that came up:

Site Grinder
This tool converts PSDs into working websites. As a web developer I'm very skeptical but I am interested in finding out more about it. Given the right circumstances, it might be a useful tool.

Lightbox JS v2.0
Web designers and developers everywhere love Lightbox. It's cross-browser Javascript/CSS that lets you create fantastic photo galleries. Check it out and you'll see what I mean. The best part: your Javascript and CSS are completely separated from the content, allowing you to use valid, well-formed, clean XHTML markup. (Can you tell I'm a fan?)

Flash portfolio websites for photographers.

Host your photographs with this one. (See also: Flickr, DeviantArt)

Revision3 - Pixel Perfect
Online video tutorials for Photoshop. Cool stuff! They also have other podcast series available from the left-hand column.

Edit: I went back and added a brief description for each link.
A former member
Post #: 8
Yes it was another good time, its great to shoot the shit with fellow designers. Here are a few liks that were mentioned.

--Simple Viewer - Free customizable Flash image viewing application
Airtight Interactive

Lightbox (as mentioned by Chat Clussman above) is also a great free Image Viewer. (javascript)

SlideShowPro is a customizable Flash image viewing application but this one costs $20

Learning Video - Photoshop and Flash
There are two videos here... Resampling and saving Images for Flash
Second video is importing Photoshop psd file to Flash.

Flash Learning Videos at

We also talked about E-Commerce solutions and what the best customizable ones are.
here are some links related to that....
Zen Cart
A former member
Post #: 18
We also talked about E-Commerce solutions and what the best customizable ones are.
here are some links related to that....
Zen Cart
As for the WordPress one: WordPress is a blog utility that has grown into a more fully featured CMS. I love it. It's very easy to template and it's very extensible. It is not an e-commerce solution in-and-of itself but there have been a couple of shopping carts built for it:

WordPress Plugin Database
SemiLogic Shopping cart plugin for WordPress
WP e-Commerce Lite
PayPal Shopping Cart by Blogging Pro

I haven't tried any of these so I can't make any recommendations, however I am curious about them and would like to test some of them out when I have the time.
A former member
Post #: 19
Ooops. The one WordPress cart I left out was the one we looked at last night:

A former member
Post #: 1
any one interested in trying out a CMS or any other web app .. you can try a bunch of them here and see how you like it... this is how I found the modx cms.

also looks like they have the e-commerce software as well, might have to try the zen cart.