addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Austin Design and Visual Arts Network Message Board › Notes from the June Meetup

Notes from the June Meetup

Fletch Brendan G.
Fletcherism
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
These are my notes about what we talked about at our June Jobclub and Meetup. I'll preface this by saying my notes are not complete, probably not even close, but I'm also including notes that someone else took (perhaps J-D Nava) who left their sheet on the table when we left.

Gina gave some good advice about LinkedIn, especially for Habeab who has been wondering about what to do when he gets on there. In particular she mentioned a book called "I'm on LinkedIn, Now What?" by Jason Alba (who recently was a speaker at Launchpad Job Club). She also had a great suggestion that when soliciting recommendations from past colleagues on LinkedIn, make sure you ask each person to address a particular area, such as the technical side of what you did or the managerial side, so that you don't wind up with 33 recommendations that all the same thing. It's also good to have at least one recommendation from a supervisor, an equal peer, and a subordinate (if you had any).

At one point Thomas was talking about a free Illustrator instruction course that's coming up online. I'm going to need someone who got more specific information to reply to the mailing list with it, but what I do know is that it will be done on Mondays (for ten weeks?), it of course has limited enrollment, it's being done on Gotomeeting.com, and I think it's called Creative Techs. Anyone have more details?

Speaking of web conferencing (like Gotomeeting.com), Thomas also mentioned that Dimdim.com is a free web conferencing service. He also told us about Pizza with the Pros, a social event they do at the Art Institute of Austin where they get professional designers and artists of all kinds to come in and talk with their students while they have a pizza party. This is a volunteer thing for the pros, but at least the pizza is paid for. I'm probably going to do it myself.

Another site we talked about that I actually didn't know about myself is kuler.adobe.com. This is a web service for building color schemes, in any colorspace. You can pick colors and then get the complementary colors that go with them, and apparently you can ask it for specific colors that are in use in the world today, such as Coca Cola red or UPS brown. Scott Deems said he's used the service to create a color scheme and then use a screengrab to show it to clients for approval. But you don't want to use it for final specification they said.

By the way, Thomas's website with all kinds of information regarding Macs and Adobe Creative Suite software is MasterAdobe.com.

That's all I've got. We spent some time yakking about things like how ActionScript 3 is a pain, or how CS4 Smart Guides aren't as easy to use anymore, or how Adobe has never been able to figure out what they're doing with ImageReady and Fireworks, or how Adobe doesn't have Macromedia's focus on the end user... but we still love the Creative Suite. We also reminisced about old software like GoLive, LiveMotion, FreeHand, Persuasion, Streamline, SuperPaint, CricketDraw... and still decided today is the best it's ever been for software.

Thanks everyone for coming out! Hopefully I'll be able to get our next meetup scheduled for Tuesday the 30th or Wednesday the 1st.
Fletch Brendan G.
Fletcherism
Group Organizer
Austin, TX
Post #: 32
Correction: the name of the gentleman who came from the Art Institute of Austin is Thomas BENNER, not BRENNER.
A former member
Post #: 1
wow, thanks for the thorough rundown, Fletch! It's like I didn't miss a thing :)

My absentee follow-up commentary:
* What?! Actionscript 3 is our friend!!
* As are CS4 Smart Guides!!
* I switched from Photoshop to Fireworks recently for its vector support. It's targeted at UI designers, now.

Looking forward to the next meeting!
A former member
Post #: 2
Kuler is a ripoff of COLOURlovers.

One of my favorite palettes: http://www.colourlove...­