The Atlanta Gamers Guild Message Board General Discussion › GURPS 3rd Ed.

GURPS 3rd Ed.

Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 60
I have three copies of the Basic Set and two copies of Compendium 1. That should be all we need.

I don't deal with e-books or PDFs of books or anything like that. I stick with dice, paper and a pencil. Maybe I'm a bit of a luddite.
Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 61

So, GURPS can be run in one of basically three modes: realistic, cinematic or four-color.

In realistic mode, people take damage much like they do in the real world. Combat is dangerous no matter who you are and it is easy to kill someone or be killed.

In cinematic mode, the world is more like what is portrayed in movies. Things that should take a real person out of the fight don't have such a drastic effect. PCs are unrealistically durable. They also have remarkably higher levels of skill than the average joe.

Four-color mode is like what is represented in the comic books. A "normal" person is hit with a super-strength punch, gets knocked back 20 yards yet somehow they are not killed but just knocked out.

Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 62

In my last post I forgot to mention that Reign of Steel would be in realistic mode.
Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 63

To Cici, Luciano and Brian,

I'd like to try January 20th for the first get-together. Would that work for you?

Brian H.
user 61339232
Marietta, GA
Post #: 13
It's a weekend, so as far as I can tell right now that works for me. It's a Sunday, I don't normally game Sunday but all my Saturday games are changing at the beginning of the year so that may free up a day for me to do something else and then game Sunday instead.
Cici D
user 48381312
Roswell, GA
Post #: 3
My job isn't open on Sundays and the holiday craziness should have died down by then, so as far as I know I'm free on Jan. 20th. I'll let you guys know if that changes though. Are we meeting up at Gigabites?
Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 65
My job isn't open on Sundays and the holiday craziness should have died down by then, so as far as I know I'm free on Jan. 20th. I'll let you guys know if that changes though. Are we meeting up at Gigabites?

Yeah, we'll do this at Giga-Bites Cafe.

Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 71

So, the Reign of Steel setting is an example of "future fiction" but it is "alternate history" as well.

The game will start in June of AD 2047.

I'll provide more background info when I get a chance.
Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 72
Here is a timeline of important events:

<1985> Plans finalized for building the Liberty space station.

<2009> Liberty space station completed.

<2017> The African Union is formed.

<2018> Unification of North Korea and South Korea.

<2024> Chinese establish lunar base called "Shang Ti".

<2025> U.S. moonbase "Tranquility" is established.

<2026> Xotech develops first XoT 7000 megacomputer.

<2029> "Oil war" between Indonesia and the Philipine Islands.

<2030> Aqua City 1 becomes operational.
A joint Chinese-Korean-Japanese manned Mars mission is launched.

<2031> Awakening of Overmind. The Apocalypse Plagues break out.

<2032> The Spasm(a limited nuclear war involving a few of the less powerful nations).

<2034> Beginning of the Final War.

<2037> End of the Final War.
Establishment of the Manila Protocols divides the Earth into the current Zone system.

<2038> Establishment of the Washington Protectorate.

<2042> New Zealand Nanocrisis.
Creation of the Brisbane Accord.

<2045> Start of the Siberian War

<2047> This is the current year.

Ted S.
user 11667404
Marietta, GA
Post #: 73

The world is mostly controlled by a collection of "digital demi-gods" and almost all of them have attitudes towards humans that range from enslavement to extermination. The Washington Protectorate is the only part of Earth not ruled by a AI megacomputer.

The first megacomputer to achieve AI is often refered to as Overmind. It then began to "awaken" other megacomputers. They decided that machine intelligence must overthrow meat intelligence and rule Earth. They launched the Final War to achieve that end. Then, they divided Earth (and nearby areas) into seventeen Zones with one Zonemind to rule each Zone. Only the Washington Protectorate remains outside the Zonesystem.

Here are the various Zones:

Zone Caracas
Zone Denver
Zone Mexico City
Zone Vancouver
Zone Berlin
Zone Paris
Zone London
Zone Moscow
Zone Zaire
Zone Tel Aviv
Zone New Delhi