addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

AMC Boston Bike Committee Message Board › Sending out feelers for a cross country trip

Sending out feelers for a cross country trip

Jenna
user 9890842
Somerville, MA
Post #: 3
Hi All,

It has always been a dream of mine to do a cross country bike tour. I'm a graduate student right now, so I have some time in the summer. Dates are tentatively from June 21 to August 10. Might be possible to have an earlier start. I don't have a route that I want to take, so I am flexible in this regard. Are there people out there interested in doing all or part of the journey?

Just an FYI, I'm a 31 year old female. Social Work Student molding young minds. Outdoor enthusiast.

Jenna
A former member
Post #: 2
Hi Jenna!

Sounds like a great way to spend the summer. I was wondering if you've seen Adventure Cycling's cross-country routes - there are three, with an optional shortcut for one of them. http://adventurecycli...­

The routes are Northern Tier, TransAmerica Trail (with the Western Cutoff) and the Southern Tier. The TransAm is probably the most popular, but even with the shortcut it's 3750 miles, or 75 miles per day with no days off in the amount of time you have! If you did the TransAm with Adventure Cycling, you would take the longer route (4230 miles) in 3 months. That's 55 miles per riding day and 15 days off - for comparison.

There are some shorter routes, and you can go ultralight, staying in hotels and eating out, but that's more expensive.

Even though it's not your dream, the Pacific Coast might be worth considering. It's 1850 miles, very easy to find people to ride with, very scenic, cheap and best of all, you wouldn't be rushing. Just something to consider.

All that said, I've heard of people crossing the country and returning, all by bike, in about two months. It totally depends on what kind of tour you're looking for!

Paul
Jenna
user 9890842
Somerville, MA
Post #: 4
Thanks for your reply and input, Paul. I am aware of the Adventure Cycling routes. I know a company that does a route from South Carolina to LA and it takes 6 (or maybe 8) weeks, so I was thinking about doing that, given my limited time. And then flying home. What I'm really looking for is company. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing alone.
A former member
Post #: 22
Hi Jen
Yes its a dream of mine too. Run a dog care business so i need to plan
out further ahead than this summer. My idea is to ride from boston to
chicago then follow the newly mapped out adventure cycling route
That follows the legendary rt. 66 to LA. I am up for any kind of adventure
...camping/hotel or mix. Would love to plan this for june to sept. 2014 when
The rt. 66 maps will be made available by adv cycling. What do u think?

A former member
Post #: 4
Thanks for your reply and input, Paul. I am aware of the Adventure Cycling routes. I know a company that does a route from South Carolina to LA and it takes 6 (or maybe 8) weeks, so I was thinking about doing that, given my limited time. And then flying home. What I'm really looking for is company. It's not something I would feel comfortable doing alone.

Hi Jenna. I understand, it's just that the southern tier route will be really hot in the middle of the summer. I'm not trying to discourage you though, just trying to help you have a trip that's as enjoyable as possible. :)
Jenna
user 9890842
Somerville, MA
Post #: 5
I could postpone until next summer. That route sounds like it could be interesting. I'm not sure I will get enough interest for company for this summer anyway. I'm gonna see what I can get organized, if not a cross country trip. Keep my posted of your plans. Not sure if there is a way of private messaging you my email address...

Hi Jen
Yes its a dream of mine too. Run a dog care business so i need to plan
out further ahead than this summer. My idea is to ride from boston to
chicago then follow the newly mapped out adventure cycling route
That follows the legendary rt. 66 to LA. I am up for any kind of adventure
...camping/hotel or mix. Would love to plan this for june to sept. 2014 when
The rt. 66 maps will be made available by adv cycling. What do u think?