Attn: Artists and Creatives,
The Greater Milwaukee Committee (GMC) along with ART Milwaukee and beintween received a generous grant from ArtPlace America for ‘Creational Trails: A Placemaking Experience in Milwaukee. As part of ‘Creational Trails, we are pioneering public space on West Wisconsin Avenue in Downtown for the summer in 2014 as an extension of the many gorgeous existing recreational trails and an expression of the inspiring cultures throughout Milwaukee.
We need your help! We are looking for your ideas to rejuvenate West Wisconsin Avenue. And -- the good new is -- we have $50,000 to bring 2 to 4 of your amazing ideas to life! Even better still -- if you have a good idea, but you can't build/create/fabricate it on your own -- we will help you find a team of local artists that can make your vision become a reality.
So what does a good place-making idea involve? Well here are a few of our thoughts:
- Ideas for more creative bike racks
- Light and sound activations of skywalks and/or on the street
- Creative ideas to activate alleys
- New bus stop designs
- More walkable sidewalks and crosswalks
- Parking spot parklets
- Space activation through performing arts
- New trash receptacle that encourage usage
- Parking lots into parks
- Art installations that incorporate the trees, flower pots, public space, medians, street signage
- Art that encourages safety
- Programming that generates foot traffic with a focus on local business
- Art installations that create connections from crossing streets that lead you to Wisconsin Ave
- Ideas that involved social furniture on the avenue
- Ideas that activate space
- Ideas encourage sense of place
- Ideas that connect the avenue to other places
We are hosting 3 public info sessions lead by Jeremy Fojut the President of Art Milwaukee that will briefly explain the project and invite artists on a 30 minute walking tour of West Wisconsin Ave. (weather permitting)
- October 23rd 6pm to 7pm
- October 30th 6pm to 7pm
- November 6th 6pm to 7pm
The information session will start at Bucketworks (2nd Floor of the Grand Ave Mall above the TJ Maxx) and continue up the ave to the Public Library and back.
Please submit your big idea before Nov 13 on the Creational Trails website
. If you have any immediate questions please contact [masked].