add-memberalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbellblockcalendarcamerachatchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-upcircle-with-crosscomposecrossfacebookflagfolderglobegoogleimagesinstagramkeylocation-pinmedalmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1pagepersonpluspollsImported LayersImported LayersImported LayersshieldstartwitterwinbackClosewinbackCompletewinbackDiscountyahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board Parenting › Parenting in the bible belt

Parenting in the bible belt

A former member
Post #: 20
Hi ladies! We are new to the group, but I wanted to put a reply to the post. I am a teacher and although we aren't military we have moved like we are. I am both a teacher and a mom. After living out east for a while I kind of developed the attitude that my beliefs are my own and I don't share them with others. With all of the different faiths we have I'm this country, I teach my children that not e everyone believes the same thing. Even at school I try to tell the students that there are 3 things you should never talk about in polite company. Politics, money, and religion. I do this nor because i am embarrassed but because I think that all of us could take a lesson from the previous generations and remember that just because we have an opinion doesn't mean we have to express it all the time. I tell my 7 year old and my students that church/religion and who you vote for are things we talk about at home and not with people at school or work. So when situations come up Logan usually says "we don't talk about that with friends."

As a parent I want my children to learn tolerance. So I model that for them. Just as I wouldn't want the Mormons reading to him out of their religious text, I don't talk to baptists about reincarnation or Darwin. We all could change so much if we could be more tolerant of each other. So thebest answer is "we don't talk a out that in public."
A former member
Post #: 9
we had talked about, at one time, doing a get together for both parents and kids and have it be kid oriented. There are good books you can use for story time (the emperors new clothes, stone soup..etc.) and have a craft time, playground time..etc..I have 9 kids (only 3 are still at home) and am a home school mom. I am involved with secular home school groups. when we get back to Arkansas we would be thrilled to host some kidlet oriented events at our home!
A former member
Post #: 2
I guess I've missed this discussion up until this point. I am working on starting a family time "class" type of situation to create a family-oriented community of freethinkers and to teach our kids "soft" topics that they aren't formally taught in the secular world... things like kindness, ethics, communication, etc. Here is the book I have (it is a follow-up to Parenting Beyond Belief):­

Also, I want to review the curriculum that the American Humanist Association has put together for such a class. They have one set of curriculum for adults and one for children:­

The AHA curriculum addresses topics like critical thinking, values & virtues, Ethics, Peace & Social Justice, Human freedom for all (civil rights, separation of church and state, etc.), and Building and maintaining relationships (caring, compassion, and concern for others). It also goes into Humanist doctrine and history, but I haven't read through enough of that part of the curriculum to know if it is something we might want to include.

I am looking at two groups I'd like to start here, one that is a family class type setting for parents and children, and another for teens and young people who are more independent but still wanting knowledge and a community where they fit in. I'm open to ideas and volunteers, and we are still looking for a location. I'm fine with moving around to houses, etc. to start with, but I'd like to hopefully establish somewhere more consistent, so that if someone has not come recently (or ever), they'd still know where to find the group. If you have any ideas or are interested in coming to such a class or in helping coordinate either of the groups (family or teen), please let me know!
A former member
Post #: 3
Also, I wanted to point everyone to the AHA's kid's section of their book store. I havent vetted their books, but it seems a good place to start looking for children's literature.

And here's a book I bought for my daughter that I am decently happy with, even though she's a bit too young for it yet:­
Montgomery, AL
Post #: 10
Good stuff. Thanks for the share.