Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board Local Breaking News › Right to Life march in Little Rock

Right to Life march in Little Rock

Dave B.
user 13155367
Sherwood, AR
Post #: 46
Right to Life march in Little Rock

Little Rock becomes the meeting grounds for the 33rd annual March for Life. Hundreds of people gathered to send a message, which is pushing the sanctity of human life.

LITTLE ROCK, Ark. (KTHV) --Little Rock becomes the meeting grounds for the 33rd annual March for Life. Hundreds of people gathered to send a message, which is pushing the sanctity of human life.

Saturday, Today's THV reported on the other side. Dozens of people came to the capitol stairs in support of women's rights for the first annual Rally for Reproductive Life. However, Sunday's group was larger with lots of church groups, and one woman who had an abortion. She's now convinced it was the wrong decision.

Hundreds of people resembling a cavalry took to the streets of the capital city. "What we want is for all of life, all of unborn life to be treated as precious and to be given a chance to live," says marcher Paul Lloyd.

Dana Lee is a marcher with a personal message. She explains, "That choice lead to 20 years of destruction in my life promiscuity, addiction, self loathing. That choice robbed me of my dignity, of my purity," says Lee while holding a sign saying "I regret my abortion."

Organizers say the 13 block March for Life, brings attention to the thousands of pregnancies, ended by abortion. In Arkansas, the latest state numbers show in 2008, nine percent of pregnancies were terminated.

"What we're standing for is life," says another participant Christine Holland.

Though the topic of abortion is rooted in politics, many of the marchers say it's religion that moves them.

Lee, and other's here say they want to remind people about choices outside of abortion.

"If he's given you the gift of life you can handle it there are resources. I wish there had been people protesting outside the abortion clinic I walked into 20 years ago. I might of made a different choice," says Lee.

Arkansas Right to Life leaders say the pro-life movement is energized by the newly elected more conservative congress.

Link to the full story and leave a comment
Dave B.
user 13155367
Sherwood, AR
Post #: 47
If someone has on objection to abortion based on some logical, scientific, or medical rationale then that's fine. Many atheists, including Christopher Hitchens, are opposed to abortion. But dogma, tradition, or your holy book is not sufficient evidence for changing the law.

Oddly, the bible is rife with examples of abortion, and a fetus (or even adult life for that matter) having little value. This excerpt from the Fayettevile Freethinkers website:

The Old Testament, which contains over 600 laws governing everything from clothing fabrics to how to cut a beard, contains no law prohibiting abortion. Neither God nor Jesus condemned abortion in the Bible. Jesus didn't say a word about it. God speaks of abortion twice in the Bible.

1. Accidental Abortion: If a brawling man happens to strike a pregnant woman and causes a miscarriage (i.e., an ABORTION), he must pay a fine to the expectant father. But if he otherwise injures the woman, he must be punished accordingly. (Exodus 21:22-25)
2. Intentional Abortion: If a man suspects that his wife had had intercourse with another man--and possibly has become pregnant--he shall take her to the tabernacle, where the priest shall mix holy water with the dust off the floor--where animals are slaughtered for sacrifice--and force the woman to drink it. If she is guilty, her womb will discharge and her uterus will drop. (In other words, she will have an ABORTION.) (Numbers 5:11-21)

In the Bible only male babies over one month of age were counted as persons during a census. A baby under one month of age and a fetus were not counted as a person. Numbers 3:15 "... every male from a month old and upward you shall number."

God ordered numerous mass murders of men, women, and children (Numbers 31; Deuteronomy 2:33-35 and 20:16-17; Joshua 6:21, 8:25, and 10:28-40; 1 Samuel 15:3,7-8; Esther 8; Jeremiah 49; and Ezekiel 9:6) but He makes it clear that only virgins were to be spared. Pregnant women were to be killed along with their husbands and sons.

The Oxford Companion to the Bible gives the scholarly consensus here:

"Biblical legislation, as in Leviticus 27:3-7, indicates that the lives of children as well as women were not valued as highly as those of adult men, while no value whatsoever was given to a child under the age of one month. There is no indication that a fetus had any status."
-- The Oxford Companion to the Bible, edited by Bruce M. Metzger and Michael D. Coogan; Oxford University Press, 1993, p. 4