align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board Book Exchange › George's Selections

George's Selections

George S
user 13502116
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 108
I enjoyed all these books, and I recommend them.
Space limitations only allowed a short comment, and if you have any questions about a book, please email me. The history and philosophy books listed here read more like novels. Some of these may not be available, since I am moving and have some packed away, but not all.

Religion

Ken's Guide to the Bible
- Ken Smith B.A. ( I think BA stands for Bad Ass ) shows some of the fallacies of the Bible. A fun romp.
The Spiral Staircase - Karen Armstrong Ex-Catholic nun's search for meaning away from religion. Excellent.
History of God - Karen Armstrong Where did the ideas of god originate? *****
The Bible; A Biography - Karen Armstrong. Addresses Biblical source questions.
Holy War: The Crusades and Their Effect on Today’s World - Karen Armstrong makes some very good points why the Holy Land struggle continue. Very timely.
God is Not Great - Christopher Hitchens- He takes no prisoners !
The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins - A scientist's calm view of religion.
Sins of Scripture - Bishop Spong - Claims to be a Christian, but he is not like any Christian I've read.
This Hebrew Lord - Bishop Spong - Spong explains how god died. Spong makes one think about many things.
The End of Faith - Sam Harris - Excellent
Reading Judas - Elaine Pagels and karen L. King. A different view of Jesus.
Beyond Belief - Elaine Pagels - A brief history of the Bible from a scholar’s perspective.
Letter to a Christian Nation - Sam Harris - Why religion is not needed to do good and be good.
A Short History of Myth - Karen Armstrong - how myths got started and the purpose they served.
The Historical Figure of Jesus - E. P. Sanders - Historically? Very little evidence.
Armies of Heaven - Jay Ruben stein - History of the First Crusades.

Hitchens', Armstrong's, Harris' and Spong's books are hard to put down.

Hitch-22 Christopher Hitchens autobiography - excellent. What makes Hitchens tick. Hard to put down.*****
Why Orwell Matters - Hitchens - still reading.
Letters to a Young Contrarian Hitchens - Hitch's philosophy on religion, politics, humor, etc. - Excellent.

Philosophy

Doubt: A history - Jennifer Michael Hecht - A wonderful read of past and present doubting philosophers. *****
The Dream of Reason: A History of Philosophy from the Greeks to the Renaissance
Anthony Gottlieb - A enjoyable read, better than Bertrand Russel’s A History of Western Philosophy, which I‘ve read, but do not own. Find it at your library.. ****

History

The Inquisition: Hammer of Heresy - Edward Burman
T
Revolt in the Desert - T.E. Lawrence - Read it a second time to get into the writers rhythm. *****
Extraordinary Popular Delusions - Richard Bentley (1841) - 702 Pg - Great writer. There are other delusions besides religion. Still applies.*****
Sacred Pleasure - Riane Eisler - A woman's view of sexual repression through the ages. Good Read.****
Howl and other Poems - Allen Ginsberg - A classic, but I am not sure I know why.
Secrets, Lies and Democracy - Noam Chomsky - Typical Chomsky
Paris in the Terror - Stanley Loomis - Very good read. I was studying the French Revolution
Citizens: A Chronicle of the French Revolution - Simon Schama - Read it twice *****
Discourse on Method and the Meditations - Rene Descartes - Interesting Classic
The Devils of Loudun - Aldous Huxley - Christian shanangins - Historical narrative.
The Lost Gospel: Q - Burton L. Mack - Where scholars think the NT came from. Good read.
Eve's Seed - Robert S. McElvaine - a follow up of Eisler’s Sacred Pleasure from a man's perspective. *****
Sex in History - Reay Tannahill - Why our culture is sexually repressed, lots of issues addressed.
Selected Essays - Michel de Montaigne - The first Essayist - This inspired me to get his "Complete Works" ***** The man lived during the 1600s and knew a lot of important people. His essays are a window into his times. Very intimately written.

Novels

Therese Raquin - Emile Zola - Have many of his titles, just ask. ****
Germinal - Emile Zola - Excellent, horror, love, adventure. It has it all. ***** Loaned OUT
Story of O - Pauline Reage
Portable Nietzsche - Thus Spoke Zarathustra included. It's Nietzsche.****
Potable Steinbeck - Mice and Men, Tortilla Flat - included. - There is something naive and sophisticated about Steinbeck's writing that fascinates me.
Portable Thoreau
- Walden included.