addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwchatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgoogleimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › Ask the Board a Question?

Ask the Board a Question?

George S
user 13502116
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 148
How many feel it would be beneficial to have a forum page to be able to access the Board with questions and suggestions?

Please leave your comments.

Peace
geo
A former member
Post #: 1
This is a great idea, George. ...provided the board is willing to give more transparency and serious thought about the fact that the membership counts and shouldn't be ignored or dismissed out of hand.
George S
user 13502116
Little Rock, AR
Post #: 149
It's been almost a week and I expected to have a lot of people posting responses.
All I see here is silence.
I don't think anyone cares except a few select individuals.
I would like to see more posts.
If they don't answer this post, I doubt they will respond to an "Ask the Board a Question."
geo
A former member
Post #: 12
Appreciate your thought and effort, George...this is a great idea and should be available in some format...of course it's actual use would wax and wane through time. It's existence should be promoted in the new member packet as well as any other promotional opportunities. It demonstrates the board's willingness to be visible and available.
A former member
Even if it is not often used, it is accessable. Members like knowing there is a way to get ahold of you guys and ask questions if needed. It is expected in a large organization, and the membership will feel more secure with the lifeline even if they never use it. This may have been here a week, but I have only known about it through your facebook post yesterday.

Members are not going to have questions/concerns all the time. Indeed, the less questions/concerns that are posted, the better it is. It means that the membership did not feel like they had to ask them. This board would probably would be used more when things are not transparent or going smoothly.

If you would like to get comments for something the board is considering, you could message a teaser to the group telling them to come here...

Anyway, I love this forum George. If it is in the member packet and linked on the website (Rich is working on) then it would really strengthen the communication within the group :)
Richard S.
I have to agree with Ambrosia. Whenever the need arises that members feel like they need to be heard, they need a place to be able to properly get their grievances heard :P It's very important to a member to know that if there's an issue, there's a "Support Line" for help :P
A former member
Post #: 2
It's been almost a week and I expected to have a lot of people posting responses.
All I see here is silence.
I don't think anyone cares except a few select individuals.
I would like to see more posts.
If they don't answer this post, I doubt they will respond to an "Ask the Board a Question."
geo

MeetUp is notoriously a very bad communication medium, George. It's actually not even meant for true communication. You are always going to have problems with people staying involved on this site.
A former member
Post #: 2
I would add a link to this page on the facebook election thread if someone wanted to ask a question about the election...
Chris B.
user 14049557
North Little Rock, AR
The internet and social media companies have given us all these awesome communications tools, we just have to figure out the optimal way to use them.

Downside of Meetup forum:
Lack of daily viewers
Most members unaware it exists

Upside of Meetup forum:
You're only here if you're somehow motivated
Less "audience effect" to fan interpersonal conflict

Downside of Facebook forum:
Not the ideal place to discuss / argue anything controversial
Easy access means people don't take time to think before they respond

Upside of Facebook forum:
Rapid, wide dissemination of info.
Reach those outside the group

Downside of a website:
Hackers
High maintenance, manual updating

Upside of a website:
Won't get thrown for a loop by future fees charged by social media companies.

My conclusions:

Serious discussion about potentially controversial issues - use the dedicated Meetup forum
Discussion about non-controversies, current events - use Facebook
Event publication - use both Meetup and Facebook
Jokes - use Facebook
Media (pics, video, audio) - use both Meetup and Facebook
A former member
Post #: 5
Since there may be weeks at a time between postings, people have no reason to check it regularly. Therefore, I think a link on the facebook page to the Meetup Discussions should be used to let people know something was actually posted