addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupsimageimagesinstagramlinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruseryahoo

Arkansas Society of Freethinkers Message Board General Discussion › Minority Freethinkers

Minority Freethinkers

Chris B.
user 14049557
North Little Rock, AR
Post #: 3
One of the most heart-warming things about being a non-believer is the realization that you have something big in common with people all over the world. I've seen FB posts from fellow nonbelievers in Iran, Saudi Arabia, Pakistan, Uganda, various European countries and more. We are everywhere, in every country, every community, in rapidly growing numbers. Plus, we don't buy the "god's chosen race" theology that has led to so many religious atrocities and so much hatred. We generally start from a position of seeing each other as equals.

You'd expect that our in-person gatherings would be as diverse as the general population. Yes, we're a diverse group, but still, most of the people at our events look like me: white males.

It's not that the freethinking white males are a problem, it's that I feel we are somehow missing a huge number of people who could benefit from this unique little island of reason and contribute to the richness of this organization. I want to understand why that's happening.

Questions for black / Hispanic members:

1) How should we reach out to / recruit people in minority communities?
2) Is something making black and Hispanic non-believers feel unwelcome? Or is everyone waiting on a critical mass to show up?
3) Would subgroups within the group be divisive, or an excellent outreach strategy (e.g. a meetup, FB group, etc. for black / Hispanic / women freethinkers)?
4) Are the social sanctions for coming out of the closet worse for minorities (and/or women) than it is for white males?