Arizona Steampunk Society Message Board › Hello all! Does anyone have any ideas...

Hello all! Does anyone have any ideas...

A former member
Post #: 2
Hi all, I'm Ian. I'm new to the scene and somewhat new to the genre. I've been into steampunk without actually knowing it for a while. Now getting into the fashion and writing. I'm working on some fiction of my own, but does anyone have any ideas for books to read. I've dug into Cherie Priest's Boneshaker and the anthology Steampunk . I look forward to getting involved and meeting some of you.
cowboisgirl
user 8685194
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 7
Have you read the "His Dark Materials" series by Phillip Pullman? The books are way better than the movie they made of the first on (Golden Compass).

I'm also interested in hearing others' suggestions....
Michael B.
user 14648126
Phoenix, AZ
Post #: 37
I can't help but recommend my own steampunk novel - The Travelers' Club and the Ghost Ship, the best steampunk novel ever, available NOW on Kindle, lol.

For others, you would want to read the Michael Moorcock Call of Cthulhu series that started the Steampunk genre again in the 1970s and 1980s.

Also, there are two Steampunk Anthologies out, and you can read the HG Wells and Jules Verne novels for free on Kindle. 20,000 leagues under the sea, the mysterious island, the island of dr. moreau, the invisible man, even Sherlock Holmes pieces from Arthur Conan Doyle.

For movies, check out League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Cowboys and Aliens, Wild Wild West, 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, Around the World in 80 days, and the new Sherlock Holmes with Jude Law and Robert Downey Junior.

Michael Bradley
Kari H.
user 5641679
Glendale, AZ
Post #: 5
I'm actually in the same boat as you. I've been into Steampunk without realizing I was.

I'm branching out more into the writing aspect of alternate history with Steampunk elements. (I usually write horror, so this is new for me.) But I am working on piecing together my first outfit so I can come garbed for future meet ups.

As for books to recommend, you mentioned Boneshaker by Cherie Priest, and the others mentioned some prime examples of the genre. I'd also recommend Dead Iron by Devon Monk. It's a supernatural western with very prominent Steampunk elements. The Dream of Perpetual Motion by Dexter Palmer is touted as a Steampunk novel, but it's got more of a noir-dieselpunk feel to it. Then there is the awesome series by Scott Westerfield. The first book in his alt-hist is Leviathan and is a great example of a Europe that never was. I also have a book called The Steampunk Bible by Jeff Vandermeer, that I use as reference when needed.

For the story I'm writing, I've been doing a lot of research on the "times", and have been reading non-fiction, or semi-fictional books. Right now I'm reading a book on Irish-American history for research purposes. ;) Plus I gather information through the Almighty Google.

Movie-wise, I'd recommend Howl's Moving Castle for visual representations of flying machines and the "castle" Howl travels around in. Funimation.com has free episodes you can watch, and there's a show called The Last Exile that is a good mix between dieselpunk and Steampunk. Franklyn is a British(?) film heavily sprinkled with Steampunk while still touching upon "our time." I haven't seen it, but I've heard that Repo! The Genetic Opera is Steampunky. The new The Three Musketeers has some Steampunk elements in it as well.

I'm running out of ideas, but I hope that helps!
A former member
Post #: 3
Thanks everyone for your ideas. I would love to read your work Kari. I do have the steampunk bible, great book. Micheal, I'll check out your novel, I don't have a kindle but if its online I can sniff it out. I hope to see al of you on the 11th. If you need any help with costuming Kari, lemme know.