Acting Classes & Confidence Building in Central London Message Board › New 10 Week Acting Courses with Julian Caddy starting in April

New 10 Week Acting Courses with Julian Caddy starting in April

Julian C.
ActingClasses
Group Organizer
London, GB
Hi there

Thanks for you interest in our courses. Below are the details of the upcoming sessions starting in April. There are three options on offer for the 10 week courses: Tuesday or Wednesday evenings and, as some people have said they prefer weekends, there will now also be Sunday afternoons too.

If you would like to join a group, please let me know as soon as possible, including your preferred day(s). Also, if you know friends or relatives to whom this might be of interest, feel free to pass it on to them. Please note though that places are limited and not guaranteed unless confirmed by us.

I have been teaching acting from our studio in Holborn for eight years now. I teach a new, no-nonsense (Stanislavski-originated) technique in a relaxed, friendly environment and hope will teach you skills that prove useful for the rest of your life. My students vary from beginners (who wish to gain confidence in speaking in front of an audience or improve their presentation skills) all the way to those looking to work or already working as actors professionally.

In the coming weeks we’ll be sending out information about our upcoming April and May screen acting & audition technique workshops. There will also be a 5 day “Summer School Boot Camp” from the 26th-30th July. Info on that to follow soon too.

If you have any questions about anything, please don’t hesitate to get in touch with me directly on 020 7404 6411 or at this email address.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best wishes
Julian Caddy

10 WEEK MIXED LEVEL ACTING COURSE
Led by Julian Caddy

Sweet Entertainments, 42 Theobalds Road, London WC1X 8NW (nearest tubes: Holborn & Chancery Lane)

TIMES/DATES*
Weekday evenings:
7pm to 10pm (10x 3 hour sessions)
Tuesdays 13th April - 15th June
or
Wednesdays
14th April - 16th June

Weekends:
Sunday afternoons, 3:30pm-6:30pm (10x 3 hour sessions)
18th April - 4th July
(Please note that there will be two weekends off to coincide with the May bank holidays, meaning there will be no class on the 2nd and 30th May)

*Dates & Times can be subject to change according to the needs of certain groups

RATES
Series of ten classes £200 (if you pay in advance) or £210 (if you pay on the day). Installment payments can be arranged on an individual basis.

COURSE INFORMATION
An introduction to acting (and, what is "good" acting?), understanding the process of creating a character, offered circumstances, objectives, purposes, actions, events ("OPAEs"), relaxation, vocal warm ups, working on texts with other students and performing to the group, improvisations and improvising around texts. Also, what to look for when watching other actors perform. In the week before the last class, the group will go and see a show in the West End and then discuss it in class.

This is a relatively new technique and offers an approach to acting training which, although has its roots in some traditional styles, differs from anything you are likely to have tried before. Therefore, groups who have not taken a prior course with Julian can come from all levels of experience, from absolute novices to working professionals.

Note: the first class begins (for an hour or so) with an introduction to the main topics to be taught and an explanation of the structure of subsequent classes. This is essential information in order to be able to participate in the course, therefore, it would be good if you could arrive in good time for the start of this session. It involves note taking so please also bring pen and paper. If you would still like to join a course but cannot make the first date(s), there are usually catch up sessions on Sunday evenings that can be arranged, often for no extra charge.

ABOUT JULIAN CADDY
Julian Caddy is an actor, director and producer. He has produced shows at the Edinburgh Fringe Festival since 1996 and has been Founder-Director of Sweet Venues since 2003. Over this time he has programmed, directed or produced over 400 shows attracting audiences of over 100,000 people. He has also produced, co-produced and promoted numerous theatre tours both across the UK/Ireland and around the world. He is currently working with Shakti from the Garage International, producing shows at the Adelaide and Avignon Festivals. More information about his company, Sweet Entertainments, can be found here: www.sweet-uk.net.

As an actor he has recently appeared in the London production of Anastasia, toured nationally with Broadway Theatre Company (Golden Boy) and Opera Piccola (The Barber of Seville and La Traviata). Other theatre includes Prisoner of War (Hen and Chickens), Great Expectations (Shaw Theatre) and Three Sisters (Edinburgh Festival and Moscow Arts Theatre). TV includes Reality Check (Channel 4), Kenneth Williams: Fantabulosa! (BBC4) and Tableau of Love (AIM Image Productions). He has also featured in numerous television commercials including BT, British Gas, Kingsmill Bread, Kohler (USA), NatWest, Nikol's (Israel),BBC TV Licensing and Heat Magazine.

Julian trained for 4 years with the late Sam Kogan, an acclaimed Russian teacher and director (alumnus of GITIS in Moscow under Maria Knebel, a student and colleague of Constantin Stanislavski) at what is now known as ASAD (the Academy for the Science of Acting and Directing). Julian's teaching combines the Kogan and Stanislavski techniques.

He has trained many hundreds of people from all walks of life, whether wanting to learn acting just for fun or to take acting on as a profession.

TESTIMONIALS
"I thoroughly enjoyed the course. I found Julian's teaching style very good. I have done other acting classes and have never been taught that way, I think it was a big eye opener. I enjoyed the improvisations the most. I appreciated the honest feedback Julian gave me and I will take it on board to improve. I would recommend this course to anyone who is interested in getting an insight into acting."

"Just a note to thank you very much for such enjoyable and interesting acting classes. I really enjoyed the experience and actually think it helped with my career as the law firm I am training with have offered me permanent solicitor post."

"I thoroughly enjoyed my first experience of acting and thought the course was an excellent introduction."

"Julian Caddy has been an amazing teacher who definitely takes you out of your comfort zone and challenges you with interesting characters and improvisation scenarios encouraging you to get under the skin of the character. He definitely has a way to make you feel relaxed so you can make the most of the classes, initially I thought 3 hours was far too long but now its the days in between that drag. We laugh so much in classes sometimes it hurts! I look forward to taking some more courses but this time I think it's going to have to be twice a week so I don't have to wait so long!"

"The introduction was valuable and the improvisation part was fun and unexpectedly stress-free. Julian provided great feedback to all participants to help us improve throughout."

"I really enjoyed the course. I particularly liked doing the improvisations. Julian’s feedback was helpful and he generally chose parts that would challenge me by taking me out of my comfort zone. I also found the psychology aspect interesting."

"I learned so much about myself and my fears and have a newfound respect for actors (hard work, really)."

"Julian is a great host. He has the ability to make everybody feel comfortable and brings out the best in all participants."