How best to enjoy the best bike trail in the Triangle?
By stopping for breakfast mid-ride at the best new bakery in the Triangle: Rise!
The American Tobacco Trail is a flat rail-trail paved with rock dust or asphalt.The scenery is mostly pastoral woodlands with several scenic wooden bridges. Beaver lodges are visible at both ends of the trail. Mountain bikes, hybrids or road bikes(fat tires) are recommended. There are no motorized vehicles on the trail with only 9 road crossings for this 15 mile stretch – so a great way to peddle many miles safely!
Here is the plan:
- Meet and start riding at 9am from the southern terminus of the Tobacco Trail at the New Hill-Olive Chapel Road parking area (1309 New Hill-Olive Chapel Road, Apex, NC 27502), GPS = [masked],[masked]
- Peddle 15 miles @10-12mph pace to the Renaissance Parkway to Rise Bakery.
- Breakfast at Rise for about an hour, then
- Peddle 15 miles @10-12mph pace back to New Hill parking area.
- Total trip duration: ~4 hours.
- Helmets & 1 liter of Water (no water available on the trail)
- Ability to ride 30 miles total @10-12mph pace on ~flat trail
- Clear weather forecast: <30% chance of rain. Look for update the evening before the ride.
Come join the fun!