The Linville Gorge Wilderness Area, also known as the Grand Canyon of the East, is one of the wildest, most rugged gorges in the eastern United States. It’s also an outdoor paradise for hikers and backpackers.
Elevations in the Gorge range from 1,300 feet on the Linville River to 4,120 feet on Gingercake Mountain. The terrain is extremely steep and rugged with numerous rock formations, and is covered by a dense mixed forest of hardwood, pine and a wide variety of smaller trees and plants. The steep walls of the Gorge enclose the Linville River for nearly 12 miles as it descends roughly 1,900 feet before breaking into the open levels of the Catawba Valley.
(Photo taken from T-shirt point along the Rock Jock Trail)
On this trip, our journey will begin on the Western side of the Gorge. We will take the very primitive Rock Jock trail along the western rim of Linville Gorge stopping by various scenic overlooks along our way. Linking up with the the Conley Cove Trail, we will plunge over 1000ft into the heart of the gorge to the Linville River. Once at the river, we will head north along the Linville Gorge Trail and camp Saturday night near the Old Sandy Flats Trail Head. Sunday morning we will continue our trek north to Babel Tower where we will stop for lunch and scramble up the tower to enjoy 360 panoramic views. After lunch, we will continue north to the Cabin Trail where we will climb out nearly 1000ft in 3/4 of a mile to exit the Gorge to our vehicle. All trails on this hike are rated VERY STRENUOUS! Total elevation gain will exceed 4500ft for this trip. Some points of interest we will enjoy on this trip include Tshirt Point, Sunshine Point, Zen Point, Bluejay Falls, Cath Falls, Spence Ridge Footbridge, Babel Tower, and many many more!
Friday night we will car camp near the Cabin Trailhead and enjoy a sunrise from Wisemans's View Saturday morning before we begin our journey.
LEADER APPROVAL IS REQUIRED FOR THIS EVENT. When you RSVP you will immediately be moved to the waiting list and once approved, manually added the status of "Going" (Linville Gorge is extremely rugged terrain and trails are steep and very strenuous making them challenging with or without the added weight of a backpack. This is NOT the place for beginning backpackers!) Cold weather experience and gear is required to attend this trip. Approval to attend this trip is at the sole discretion of the organizer.
RSVP's will be limited to not more than 6 participants due to camping locations being very limited in space.
To be eligible for this event you must:
* Be in very good physical condition and be able to backpack under changing mountain conditions and terrain.
* Have attended at THOG backpacking trip or be able to provide details of a trip similar in nature.
* You must have a sleeping bag rated to 32 degrees minimum (25 or below recommended) as temperatures in November could reach freezing levels or below after sunset. A sleeping pad rated for 3-4 season use is also highly recommended.
* Have all the necessary camping gear which include but are not limited to tent, sleeping bag, pad, hat and gloves, stove, and be responsible for your food and water. Trekking Poles are HIGHLY encouraged due to terrain.
* Bring rain gear as this event will proceed rain/snow or shine! (Unless there is a monsoon or blizzard in the forecast).
* Are able to Backpack up to 8 or more miles a day in very steep and rugged conditions.
* A POSITIVE ATTITUDE AND THIRST FOR ADVENTURE!
A location will be chosen and emailed to participants at a later date. Please be prepared to split the cost of gas with your driver. Drive time to Linville Gorge is approximately 4 hours each way. We need a minimum of two vehicles for this trip as we need to shuttle to the Trailheads.
Expect to be back in the Triangle between 9 and 10pm on November 11th.
- When you RSVP, please answer the series of supplied questions. Sorry, but your RSVP will be removed if the questions are not answered or ignored.
- *** IMPORTANT NOTE: It is recommended to RSVP with a laptop or home type computer. Some smartphone apps. will not display the RSVP questions.***
If you have any questions, please email me directly.