Adventurous Singles Message Board › New Meetup: Day Trip/Camping at Turner Falls, Oklahoma

New Meetup: Day Trip/Camping at Turner Falls, Oklahoma

Group Organizer
Plano, TX
Announcing a new Meetup for Adventurous Singles!

What: Day Trip/Camping at Turner Falls, Oklahoma
When: Friday, April 22, 2011 4:30 PM

Price: $5.00 per person

Where: Turner Falls Park
Turner Falls Park
Davis, TX 73030
580-369-2988 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 580-369-2988 end_of_the_skype_highlighting

Why: The trees are budding and the weather is comfortable. If you have never been to Turner Falls, this is a great time to visit! The centerpiece of Turner Falls Park is one of the two tallest waterfalls in Oklahoma.

This trip will cover Friday and Saturday. Feel free to drive up either day, and stay as long as you like. Where you will meet us will depend on when you make the trip.

Let's begin with a trip to Tucker Tower at Lake Murray State Park. It's on our way to our ultimate destination and close to it, and it is an interesting stop. We will completely circle the Lake, beginning with the Park Office, where we can all meet and refresh ourselves before proceeding. This would also give any stragglers a chance to catch up with us. It will take about 2 hours to drive to Lake Murray from Dallas. Expect to spend about 2 hours exploring from the shores of the Lake before we head North.

Two main exits from I-35 lead to Lake Murray. We want the second of these, which is Exit 29. Head East from Exit 29 for about 2 miles, to 77S, where you will turn Right at the stop light, onto 77S. The Park office is a few hundred feet down the road, on the right. I plan to be at the Park Office from 4:30 until 4:45 P.M. on Friday, April 22. From the Park Office, we will drive around Lake Murray, stopping at Tucker Tower. After we complete our trip around the Lake, we will head back to I-35 for Turner Falls.

Turner Falls is a developed Oklahoma State Park a few miles South of the City of Davis. As you would expect, its central attraction is a large, natural waterfall, formed when Honey Creek cascades down an 80-foot tall travertine cliff. The waterfall, swimming areas, shops, cabins and showers are near the entrance to the Park. Most of the Park, though, is for primitive camping and hiking (and, if you bring your own horse or bicycle, riding). No pets are allowed in Turner Falls Park (horses are an exception).

To get to Turner Falls, drive North on I-35 to Exit 47. At Exit 47, continue North on State Road 77. After looping through some hills, you will be coming downhill when you encounter the Park entrance to your Left. It is a sharp turn, but a wide road leading into the Park. Turner Falls is located slightly West of I-35. I plan to arrive at Turner Falls by 7 P.M. on Friday, April 22. This will give us about an hour to set up camp before sunset.

Park admission is $4 per person per day at this time of year (rates go up in May). Camping is an additional $12.50 per vehicle per day. The Park accepts major credit cards or cash at the entrance. Let me know if you will be bringing your own tent and sleeping bag, or need to share equipment. Adventurous Singles will be charging a $5 per person fee to support group activities.

If you choose to drive up on Saturday, you may call me to meet you at the front of the Park. We will have plenty to see and do inside and outside of the Park to fill the day. Be prepared to walk in calf-deep water and climb steep hills. Bring some cash to buy freshly-made fried pies at the shop up the street.

As always for road trips, please ensure that your vehicle is in good running condition prior to the trip. I've hosted several road trips, and have always had at least one group member's vehicle that has broken down with either tires or electrical problems. This can ruin a day or two for everyone involved. I recommend everyone going on road trips get AAA. Some states also offer roadside assistance.

Call me if you have any questions:

Check it out!