addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1linklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Members Against Meetup's New View Message Board › Ideas for new name

Ideas for new name

A former member
Post #: 148
I have thought up a bunch of new names, but the one I like best so far is, "Let the Meetup Events be Prominent Again." Another version could be, "Let the Meetup Events be Central Again."
Emmy
user 9387564
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 89
I have thought up a bunch of new names, but the one I like best so far is, "Let the Meetup Events be Prominent Again." Another version could be, "Let the Meetup Events be Central Again."

Thanks for getting the ball rolling with some interesting suggestions! Personally, I think it would be good to broaden our focus beyond the "new view" to be open to other things such as the "maybe" issue, though we'd have to be accept that we wouldn't all agree on all issues or on their priority.

Maybe a potential name could focus on the issue of choice, which I think is common to many issues including the "new view" and "maybe" ones.

I'm still thinking about possible wordings, but the general drift would be something like "Members and Organizers for Meetup Choices" or just "Members for Meetup Choices." (I worry that something like "Members for Meetup Choice," though it sounds better, would make it sound like an abortion rights group...) Maybe "Members for Meetup Alternatives"??

(Alternatively, one could focus on improvement and say "Members and Organizers for a Better Meetup." But that may be too vague -- the folks at MUHQ presumably think that all their crazy changes *are* improving Meetup.)

Anyway, just my two cents -- I'm still mulling. What do others think?
A former member
Post #: 76
I wonder if we need to be broader and appeal to people who feel voiceless with Meetup. I would like a name such as Global Meetup members and Organisers Group. I think we should aim to listen to all views and try and feed back whether good or bad to meetup in a constructive manner. I would suggest we iinvite Meetup to sound out their ideas with the group thus giving them a chance to either consult or tooshow conclusively that they do not wish to.
A former member
Post #: 149
Here are a few more possibilities:
"Members for a Common Sense Web Page" because the "new view" slaps common sense in the face
"Let Organizers Design Their Own Web Pages" or "Let Organizers Move and Change Web Modules"
A former member
Post #: 78
I think that we need to aim more fundementally at the wauy meetup introduces changes. AT the moment there are a whole load of people feeling disheartened by the removal of the "Maybe" option. We may be able to persuade many of them to join us if we broaden our position to challenge Meetup on the way it introduces changes with little or no consultation.
Perhapd the Meetup coalition for Consultation?
Emmy
user 9387564
Los Angeles, CA
Post #: 94
I’m sorry about not replying earlier – I’ve been preoccupied with the “Maybe” issue.

I agree that it would be good to broaden our focus, and welcome people who are concerned about such recent issues.

I’m still thinking about names. “Meetup Coalition for Consultation” focuses on process. While I’d love for Meetup to consult with us, so far they seem unwilling to consult with anyone. “Members and Organizers for More Meetup Choices” focuses on the result, but could sound as if we want there to be more meetups. “Global Meetup Members and Organisers Group” doesn’t state a particular interest, which is both its strength and weakness. (It also sounds a bit like the World Wide Meetup Organizer’s Group.) Still mulling...
Atul
user.9032885
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1,578
Why not just MIG or "Meetup Improvement Group"?