How do you ensure that your organization has adequate coaching support to sustain an Enterprise Agile transformation? How do you scale your scrum masters and Agile coaches to an organization with 50, 100, or 200 teams? What selection criteria do you employ to ensure your organization has selected the most appropriate individuals to fulfill the roles of scrum master and enterprise coach? What issues/challenges do you face and what structures and support do you need to put in place to address them?
In this talk Jason and Mike will discuss their experiences and learnings scaling the coaching function to multiple levels of a large software organization. Drawing heavily from their experiences as coaches at Salesforce.com, and presenting this talk as a work-in-progress, they will:
• Discuss why it is important to scale the coach in a large enterprise
• Candidly present the major challenges we have faced, what didn’t work, and how we have adapted our strategy accordingly
• Talk about the primary support structures we chose to put in place to scale effective coaching to the team, business unit, and portfolio levels of the organization.
• Reflect upon our experience of setting up a 3-tiered coaching model, and discuss the coaching interactions that take place at each level.
• Discuss the selection criteria for scrum masters and enterprise coaches, as well as the internal certification programs we have developed for each.
An Agile Coach and trainer at Salesforce.com, Mike Register continues to pursue his 25+ year journey to help organizations deliver the highest quality software continuously to market in a business environment that is constantly adapting. He has led and coached agile teams and organizations for over 10 years, from the very small to the very large. Mike has launched and guided agile transformations at multiple companies in the healthcare and finance industries prior to joining Salesforce. At Salesforce, Mike’s primary role as an enterprise coach and trainer involves guiding, evolving, and adapting a worldwide, very large agile implementation.
Jason has nearly 20 years experience working in the technology industry, and specializes in helping companies deliver value quickly by using Lean|Agile techniques. Currently an Enterprise Agile Coach at Salesforce.com, Jason splits his time between instructing classes and coaching Scrum and Kanban teams. Prior to Salesforce, Jason held engineering and Agile transformation leadership roles at Good Technology and Nokia.