Pay It Forward This Christmas With Karma Kitchen
In the past, we've given food to the hungry and warm clothes to those who need them. This year, why not give love and time to everyone…without expectations.
Karma Kitchen opened in Berkeley on March 31st 2007, by several volunteers inspired to seed the value of a "gift economy" - economic system where goods and services are given without any strings attached.
Run by volunteers, their meals are cooked and served with LOVE, and offered to the guest as a genuine GIFT. To complete the full circle of giving and sustain this experiment, guests make contributions in the spirit of pay-it-forward to those who will come after them. In keeping this chain going, the generosity of both guests and volunteers helps to create a future that moves from transaction to trust, from self-oriented isolation to shared commitment, and from fear of scarcity to celebration of abundance.
What Will You Be Doing?
I'm looking for 5 volunteers. The typical roles include: server, plater, dessert, dishwasher, buser, and more. However, the exact role assignment happens on the day of.
I would also like to invite several more to dine and explore how you like being part of the gift economy.
(1) Sign a disclaimer here: http://www.karmakitchen.org/vol.php
(2) select "Dec 29" as your date
(3) type in "Ai Explore" in the comments box
(4) Show up at 10:00 am (SHARP!) on Dec 29 for check-in and a quick introduction to Karma Kitchen
- Parking: Street parking. I highly encourage carpooling. Please use this events page to coordinate carpooling with others.
- Attire: Please wear closed toe shoes, hairs pulled back, and clothes that can get a little dirty.
- Bonus: Volunteers will get a meal at the end of the shift as well as a t-shirt.
- Age: Must be 18 years old
- If you can't make this date but would like to volunteer another time they are also looking for volunteers on Oct 27 and Nov 24
- If you can go earlier, they can use help at 9am. Please contact them directly if you are able to go.
You MUST sign up on Karma Kitchen's website to volunteer. RSVP here is only for me. When you sign up, they are counting on you to show up. If you absolutely cannot make it, please let me know ASAP so I can fill your spot and/or let them know of the change.
A Message From Karma Kitchen Coordinator:
The fulcrum of Karma Kitchen rests on creative new ideas to inspire giving in others. We always love any creative ideas you have to really push the boundaries of giving. Other than that, just bring yourselves and the awesome attitude already in the air.
Learn More About Karma Kitchen & Gift Economy