I’m sure most of you have seen the bins for Second Harvest Food Bank food drives during the holidays. How would you like to sort food at the San Jose Cypress Center warehouse and learn how we can do more to end people going hungry locally?
Second Harvest Food Bank of Santa Clara and San Mateo Counties is the trusted leader dedicated to ending local hunger. Since its inception in 1974, Second Harvest has become one of the largest food banks in the nation, providing food to an average of nearly one quarter of a million people each month. The Food Bank mobilizes individuals, companies, and community partners to connect people to the nutritious food they need. Nearly half of the food distributed is fresh produce. Second Harvest also plays a leading role in promoting federal nutrition programs and educating families on how to make healthier food choices.
- You must bring a signed and completed Volunteer Agreement Form
- Please bring a non-perishable food item to donate. High protein items (such as tuna or peanut butter) and meals like stews and soups are great choices. One can does make a difference!!
- Do not bring purses, backpacks or other valuable items (leave them locked up in your car or better yet, at home)
- RSVP will close on Wed, April 30
- If you must cancel please let me know ASAP so I can fill the spot. They are counting on us to be there!
- They cannot accommodate late arrivals so please be punctual
- As always, carpool if you can. You can post here on the website and I can help coordinate it
- Group dinner afterwards at Chipotle (or Five Guys or Chick-fil-a or Sweet Tomatoes or JP’s Pizza or Panera or Panda Express) just a few blocks away
5:45 to 6 p.m. - Arrive, check in, submit forms
6 to 8 p.m. - Work at the warehouse
8 to 9 p.m. - Group dinner
- Closed toe shoes required
- Long pants are required
- No tank tops!
- Wear something comfortable and something you wouldn’t mind getting dirty
- Minimum age to participate is 14
- Volunteers younger than 18 must have a signed and completed Youth Permission Slip in addition to the Volunteer Agreement Form
- In addition, volunteers 14 and 15 years old must have a parent or guardian that is 21 years of age or older accompanying them
4001 North First Street
San Jose, CA 95134
For more on SHFB: