Thelemic Saints of the Ancient Pagan World

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the Law. Thelemic Saints of the Ancient Pagan World The Thelemic Mass is a distinctive ritual of Temple of Thelema based on A.'.A.'. Liber XV: Ecclesia Gnostica Catholica Canon Missae (written by Aleister Crowley in 1913). Crowley sought to create a Mass specifically based on The Book of the Law and conveying its truths in a vehicle of popular religion. He succeeded beautifully. The result was Liber XV. Unfortunately, he also wrote it to include distinctive symbols, and even confidential signs and tokens, of one organization of which he then was a senior officer (O.T.O.). Besides compromising that fraternity’s privacy, it also made the Mass overly narrow IF THE GOAL WAS TO REACH THE MOST DIVERSE COMMUNITY. Temple of Thelema, many years ago, undertook a modest rewrite. About 93% of our Mass is Crowley’s sublime original. The other 7% is our distinctive contribution. One of the purposes of the rewrite is to further equilibrate the balance between gender energies in the Mass: Social standards on this issue, thankfully, have shifted in the 90 years since Liber XV was crafted. One aspect of this was to include female saints along as well as male saints. There have been requests for more information on who the 70 saints of the Thelemic Mass are. Tonight we will focus on the saints from the ancient Pagans: Included in the Thelemic Mass are Sappho, Apollonius of Tyana, Hypatia and Medea; as well as some of the ancient deities: Athena, Dionysus, Hermes, Isis, Horus, and Sophia. Time permitting, we will discuss some or all of these figures, starting with Isis and Horus. Love is the law, love under will. Tamara

Join or login to comment.

  • Tamara

    I enjoyed doing the research. Participants had excellent questions and comments.

    November 27, 2010

  • Tamara

    We will be focusing mostly on the ancient Egyptians.

    November 17, 2010

8 went

People in this
Meetup are also in:

Sometimes the best Meetup Group is the one you start

Get started Learn more
Rafaël

Rafaël, started French Conversation Group

Sign up

Meetup members, Log in

By clicking "Sign up" or "Sign up using Facebook", you confirm that you accept our Terms of Service & Privacy Policy