Doug R.
user 10055929
Group Organizer
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 22
Fellow runners - just a public service announcement regarding the importance of carrying some 'in case of emergency' (ICE) information on your bod during ALL runs. During the Carrabbas relay last week, a guy dropped in front of me and, while we were helping him and waiting for the medically-trained folks to make it our way, he was unable to give any other information other than his first name - no last name, no medical info, no allergies, etc (due to apparent heat exhaustion/heat stroke). We were able to look up his basics through his bib number and find family members, but it would have been easier for the medical team to treat and transport him with some additional information on his person. Update - he was admitted, due to elevated LFTs, but was discharged and is doing well.

Anyway, I typically never run with ID, identifying information, emergency contacts, etc (unless it's required for beers afterward). And I know many of us also fail to do so. The only time I fill out ICE info is on the back of marathon bibs. The race directors in San Antonio are looking at some additional precautions and methods - even though there are seldom incidents such as this - but your best bet as a runner is to take personal responsibility and, if you are ever not able to communicate (which can happen in an abudance of situations, including dumb drivers, heat, bee sting, et. al) on ANY run, be able to provide some essential information.

My personal (non-medical, non-elite/pro/super-running) recommendations are:

1. If you have a health condition (HTN, DM, allergies, prior conditions/surgeries), wear a medical ID bracelet or tag
2. write your name, age, ICE, and any medical conditions/allergies on the back of your bib before all races (even little 5ks)
3. wear a road id, foot tag, carry your ID, etc. on all runs

I don't mean to alarm anyone and I know I am indestructible :), but the guy who went down was a healthy 30-34 y/o guy just running another race and this brought it home to me that the availability of this information is critical if anything were (hopefully never) to go wrong.

Courtesy of Sally Seeker
Karen
TexasKaren68
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 12
I have a RoadID tag on my running shoes - I never run without it. I used to have a wrist band but it bothered me - the shoe tag is painless and would be invaluable if I ever keel over from heat exhaustion. They aren't that expensive and come in all kinds of varieties, colors, etc. The RoadID system allows you to enter emergency contacts, medical history, medications etc. and it's all available to the first responders with the code on the back of your tag.
Karen
user 10699498
San Antonio, TX
Post #: 17
I saw this young man a few seconds before he collapsed. He came out of the trail with no sense of directions, incoherent, and in very bad shape, he was only a quarter mile away from the finish. It was scary. I am glad to know he is doing well. I normally carry an ID with me in my hydration belt but i think it's time to by a bracelet or a tag.