Jasen R.
baldboy_1
Calgary, AB
Post #: 53
I'd like to start this thread to keep track of any meetup ideas we might have. Don't be shy - anything is fair game.

To get the ball rolling...

Two Events per Month
I'm thinking that we could probably hold 2 meetups per month: perhaps one to coincide with the FlickrMeet and another regular social event. The FlickrMeets tend to be a bit more spontaneous in nature so I'd like to have something more consistent at least once a month, whether it's a photoshoot or simply meeting up for drinks at a local pub.

Seminars, workshops
I'll try my best to keep abreast of all the local workshops and seminars that are available to us. I'll also investigate the likelihood of getting group discounts for our Meetup group.

OK, your turn...

biggrin
Athene
user 3555834
Calgary, AB
Post #: 2
ok, my turn... let the newbie suggest possible "challenges" ???
A former member
Jasen
Any chance of adding a "This & That" section to the message board? or somethig like that. It would give people an area to post things. For example I was wanting to know what kind of pc's or mac's etc or programs people are using for their photography, and what worked for them etc.
Thanks,,, and happy new year.
Joe
Ameer S.
user 3544835
Calgary, AB
Post #: 3
How about adding a poll that we can see the results to. Include questions like - Camera choice(s) and lense where applicable, computer choice, favorite Pic software, favorite trick on a computer, favorite camera trick, favorite spots to take pictures, scariest place you have taken a picture, what bugs me most about photography or your camera, anyone ever try this or that... - stuff like that. Then we can ask questions of each other, get to know each other ... or even MEET.

And as this city is cold and brown when the snow is gone and spring is not here yet, how about doing a plus 15 walk through downtown to take pictures? Devonian Gardens is smack in the middle, and there are 59 enclosed bridges to wander through. Food, water, restrooms abound - what more could you ask for. How about a "PHOTO TREASURE HUNT" where you have a list of like 25 things you have to get a picture of, and one hour to find them and capture them. Meet back somewhere, find a winner and share what we saw.

Finally. IF there are any members who are EXPERT in an area of photography, why not do a mini-seminar somewhere - we could all chip in a few $$ for the advice, and make it worth someone's while. "Top Ten Tips" breakfast meeting - or whatever. There are a lot of things I think we could do - any thoughts anyone?????????? smile
Sean
user 7494698
Calgary, AB
Post #: 1
There is a local workshop July 5th

Details here:
http://www.dpchalleng...­
A former member
Post #: 12

Finally. IF there are any members who are EXPERT in an area of photography, why not do a mini-seminar somewhere - we could all chip in a few $$ for the advice, and make it worth someone's while. "Top Ten Tips" breakfast meeting - or whatever. There are a lot of things I think we could do - any thoughts anyone?????????? smile

I really like this idea. At the last meet up there was a few members there who shared some of their knowledge and skills and it was greatly appreciated. I saw a marked difference in the shots I took with that knowledge compared to before. I think a workshop with some practice time would be a fantastic idea!
Cara
Caraphoto
Calgary, AB
Post #: 11
Yeap, i've noticed a big difference to, and i've had requests for seminars, so i'm in communication with the camera store and vistek to set up a bunch of different ones. It take the pressure off of a 'expert' member, who may know what they're doing wonderfully but not sure how to teach it to others. SO very soon, once they one of them come to agreement with me. *smiles*
A former member
Post #: 13
Fantastic! If you need help setting anything up let me know :)
A former member
I'd like some help (a meetup) on the use of flash in a casual (e.g. family at Christmas) setting. I struggle to get good indoor pictures which are usually candid and must be taken quickly.