Welcome to the Albuquerque Ink Slinger's Cyberscribes!
Write a piece in any genre that is no more than 10 minutes reading time and includes one of the major plot tropes and two of the minor tropes. These should be easily identifiable - the more hackneyed the better.
What is a trope you ask? A trope is a literary cliche. A plot device that is overused or far too familiar. Read the below and see if all these don't ring some bells:
1. Evil Twin / unknown twin
2. Fake death
3. One last big score
4. Underdog beats pro
5. Deus ex machina
6. Mistaken identity
8. Orphan, eventually revealed of other character
9. Switched at birth
10. Dream sequence
11. Evil former friend
12. Too drunk to remember
13. Damsel in distress
14. Gets in known stupid/trouble situation for buddy
14. Nerdy girl/guy makeover to hot
15. Mistaken for real culprit
1. Lucky shot/bet/throw/etc
2. A dark and stormy night
3. Going into dark room/up stairs/into basement
4. Screeching cat out of dark
5. Beginner's luck beats all
6. Someone appears in mirror behind character
7. Delayed explosion or doesn't explode
8. Angry police captain yells and demands badge
9. Car chase
10. Flashback to eeriely relevant situation
11. Bad guys have poor marksmanship - hero is great shot
12. Hero saves group who got themselves in trouble
13. I told you so. . . when they didn't
14. Hacking computer takes just minutes
15. Easily find outfit of guard/cleaner to infiltrate location
16. Love at first sight / hate at first sight
17. Thought dead or unconscious but jumps up in nick of time
18. Manical laughter or monologuing
19. Flashlight stops working at key moment
20. Car won't start when most needed
21. Trip and fall when being chased
22. Knock someone unconscious with single blow
This meetup is devoted to sharing new things we have discovered, getting feedback/encouragement on our writing, and networking with fellow cyberscribes.
Cyberscribes details and information:
- We welcome any genre of writer - fiction, non-fiction, poetry or blog/web.
- This is an informal discussion and review format.
- You may bring something short to share to any meeting but you don't have to.
- We do verbal sharing with online posting for review if requested.
- Feel free to bring dinner - hard to participate if you're hungry.
- New writers or those who aren't writing yet are welcome.
- This meetup is older child friendly as long as they are reasonably self-entertaining.
- Feel free to bring a laptop - Page One does have WiFi.
- You may come late or leave early depending on your need.
Look forward to seeing you there!