PREMISE: THE LEFT HANDED CLUB
The premise (target theme) must be an integral part of the plot, not necessarily the central theme but not merely incidental. Yes, that is it - no other guidelines. THEMA is a theme-related subscription journal that is celebrating their 25th anniversary in 2013.
They ask for fewer than 20 double-spaced pages preferred - which means they want whatever you send to be double-spaced. A short story is usually considered up to 7,500 words. 20 pages, double spaced in 12pt font with standard margins is around 7,500 words - little more clear on their format.
The DEADLINE for this challenge submission is March 1, 2013. This will give you two weeks to tweak and still have time to snail mail, yes, I said mail them in to the journal. On acceptance for publication, they will pay the following amount: short story, $25; short-short piece (up to 1000 words), $10; poem. There is no charge for submission. Copyright reverts to author after publication. Check out the website if you need more information: http://themaliterarysociety.com/submissions.html.
SOME LEFT HAND FACTS AND STATISTICS FOR INSPIRATION:
- 15% of people are left-handed. Males are twice as likely to be as females.
- Left-handers are more likely to be geniuses - 20% of all MENSA members report being left-handed.
- Left-handed men are, on average, 15% richer than right-handed men for those who attended college, and 26% richer if they graduated.
- Sadly, Left-handed people are three times more likely than right-handed to become alcoholics.
- If both parents are left-handed, 50% of their offspring will be left-handed. Two righties only have a 2% chance of having a lefty.
- Female cats are more likely to be right-pawed, while male cats tend to be left-pawed.
- Lefties are more likely than righties to really, really hate spiral notebooks.
- Lefties are better at handling large amounts of stimuli, making them naturally better at playing video games.
- The older a mother is, the more likely she is to give birth to left-handed children.
- Left-handers are believed to reach puberty 4 to 5 months on average after right-handers.
- Only 50% of lefties report using a computer mouse with their left hands. Similarly, 68% use their right hand for scissors and 74% hold a dinner knife in their right hands.
- 4 of the 5 original designers of the Mac computer were left-handed. Of the last 5 Presidents, 3 are left-handed (Obama, Clinton, Bush Sr.)
- Lefties have an average lifespan that is nine years fewer than that of righties.