To all Members:
This is a great group to socialize and see a movie with. That said the leadership team would like to send out the following reminder. This group is NOT a dating service or a singles group.
This group is here to provide what meetup is here for: a place to meet and interact with some great people on a regular basis. We are a community of some really great people and we want everyone to feel safe and welcome. So, please, review the following:
- DO NOT send messages/emails to people you haven't met in person at an event (especially not to ask them out/set up a personal meeting or flirt with them!)
- DO NOT just ‘show up’ to events you haven’t RSVP’d ‘in’ to.
- DO NOT treat the movie meetup group like a ‘singles’ club and come to events only in search of your next relationship. If you have an ‘agenda’ other than that of ‘good fun and good socializing’ you won’t be welcome to return.
- DO NOT follow someone (i.e. to car, to metro) unless you ask the member if it is okay (and don’t wait to ask until they are completely alone – that is creepy!)
- DO NOT use the main message board or a specific event’s message board to express feelings about any group member (everyone in the group can read this and it is in poor taste).
- Respect other members’ personal space.
- We have a friendly group of people, but just because a group member is friendly does not mean that he/she wants to date you, read into another member's non-verbal signals or body language and act accordingly.
- Any unwanted, ongoing advances need to be reported to the leadership team and the member(s) will be removed if they have acted inappropriately. In extreme cases, members will also be reported to authorities if these unwanted advances continue indefinitely (e.g. harassment) etc.
- Any reports made by members to the leadership team shall remain confidential.
Please be aware that the consequences of unwanted behavior is: members may be discouraged from attending future events, may leave the group, and, most important of all, they may feel violated.
Everyone feel free to contact any member of the leadership team at any time. We are here to make this group fun, safe, and welcoming. We are hosts because we want this group to work.
Your Leadership Team (Kathy, Ana, Lara, Matt, & Mary)