Alt Hiking Message Board › Don't laugh, but.....

Don't laugh, but.....

A former member
Post #: 8
......the ball of my right foot feels like it's absolutely ON FIRE after a couple hours of hiking! It doesn't seem to matter how far, how high, or how fast; once I hit that four-hour(ish) mark, my foot is screaming "Let me out"! Have any of you experienced something like this? If so, what's the remedy??? I wonder if it's a "footwear" issue.....or my gait......OR just a hazard of hiking?
LORI
user 4066497
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 68
Hi Cindy!
I, too, have experienced that burning pain in the ball of my foot---- not with my hiking boots but with my running shoes. If the pain is occurring after you hike and at no other time, then perhaps you may need new hiking boots-----ill-fitting boots could definitely cause ball of the foot pain. Have you taken advantage of a free boot fitting at REI or Summit Hut? Also, you might benefit from wearing insoles like Superfeet. Those are just a few suggestions from a fellow hiker – I am not a doctor. smile

Good luck!
~Lori

A former member
Post #: 9
Thanks Lori!

I was pretty sure that, with the thousands of hikers in this town, I couldn't be the ONLY one with this issue! Yep, I've done both....two fittings at Summit Hut, the second of which sold me on Superfeet! When I started this discussion this morning, I honestly thought it WAS strictly a hiking issue, but, as luck would have it, I noticed the same sensation at work today after several hours in a new pair of athletic shoes. If nobody has any "tried-and-true" remedies, I'm going to experiment with taping and Dr. Scholl's inserts for another hike or two. Last resort: TOI! <shiver>

See ya on the trail!

Cindy
Brian
user 54172472
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
Cindy,

I am a massage therapist I can take a look at it. It sounds to me that a muscle is getting hypertensive and is pulling on other joints and tendons out of their natural alignment thus causing pain. Email me on my profile if you are interested.

Brian
Nancy
user 14511007
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 3
I had the same problem a couple of years ago and when I brought it up the the ortho doc I was seeing (for a knee problem) he called it something fancy and said that there was a type of insert that a podiatrist could fit me for(the way he described it sounded something like a bunion pad that you put around the bottom of the toe joint that is most painful). I ended up not using it, and my foot got better on its own and I can still hike, backpack, and run pretty comfortably. Good luck!
Kenneth
user 14027214
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 4
First ..I'm not a doctor, but I would bet its your footwear, even your socks (cotton sucks)..either way get it fixed before you get a nasty corn or bunion. Iv'e paid good money for shoes/boots that felt good when I bought them only to retire them after a few hikes, so find better fitting footwear and stick to what you find...good luck!
A former member
Post #: 10
Thanks, you guys!

I bought high-tech socks and inserts today, and am going to test 'em out on Blackett's tomorrow! I hope I have Nancy's luck, in that it goes away without a lot of trouble; but I'm afraid you might be right, Kenneth, in that I'll have to buy new boots. <groan> Thanks Brian; I'll contact you separately!

Cindy

Dave & Yvonne S.
user 10523630
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 20
Try stretching.
Think about the action that is causing the problem (antagonist) and stretch in the opposite action (protagonist). In this situation, I will suggest that you sit seiza style with your knees on a soft rug of sorts. Now, think about your gate and have your toes pointing in the opposite direction. If this works for you, consider doing this before and after a hike.
Cliff Hofmann J.
user 30668202
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 1
hi cindy, i just saw your posts. it may also be plantar fascitis, relating to the tendon that runs the length of your foot, from the ball of your foot to your heel. you may want to google it and/or talk with a podiatrist. just sayin'...and i hope whatever it is that it gets and feels better soon. cliff
LORI
user 4066497
Tucson, AZ
Post #: 69
And one more thing Cindy, wearing high heels during the work week will just exacerbate the problem. So give those a rest until you are healed up............
Good luck!
Lori