American History Enthusiasts Message Board › upcoming KC HISTORY PROGRAMS at library

upcoming KC HISTORY PROGRAMS at library

Stefanie
Stef78
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 3
Hi everyone,
There are a couple of excellent adult history programs coming up in November and December at Mid-Continent Public Library. Free of course. And both of them have the same presenter/speaker, Terrence O'Malley, a local KC history documentary filmmaker (and attorney too). He made the documentaries "Tom and Harry: the Boss and the President" and "Black Hand Strawman"; "Black Hand Strawman" is also a book he wrote. Both documentaries go into detail about Kansas City's mob/crime history and about the Pendergast political machine based out of KC. O'Malley will be present to show clips of the documentaries, talk about them, and take audience questions. I've seen the full "Tom and Harry" documentary - is it really informative and interesting!

I am not able to make it to either of these programs, but you can either go to mymcpl.org to register yourself for them or you can click on the links below that take you directly to the event registration pages. Both of the libraries that these take place at are real close to a main highway (either I35 or 152hwy) and pretty easy to get to - I can give directions if anyone needs them (I live near them). I'm positive that these will be great programs!

Tom and Harry: the Boss and the President program 11/12/13:

http://srp.mcpl.lib.m...­

Black Hand Strawman program 12/14/13:
http://srp.mcpl.lib.m...­

A former member
Post #: 12
Thanks for the info Stefanie. I have seen "Black Hand Strawman" multiple times and It is still my favorite documentary in the whole world. I signed up and hope others will join me.
Stefanie
Stef78
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 4
I just checked out Black Hand Strawman from the library (mymcpl.org) and will be watching it really soon! Have never seen it so I'll have to let you know what I thought :) Your 'favorite documentary in the whole world' huh? Wow. I really wanted to go to the Black Hand program but just can't get off from work for it, am very sad about that :(
Stefanie
Stef78
Kansas City, MO
Post #: 5
Thanks for the info Stefanie. I have seen "Black Hand Strawman" multiple times and It is still my favorite documentary in the whole world. I signed up and hope others will join me.
Hey Crazy Mike, Black Hand Strawman was an excellent documentary! It is jam-packed with facts, names, info - I was amazed at how much info, clips, images were stuffed into 2 hours. I learned a lot more about KC's crime history than I already knew, especially particular mobster names and backgrounds. It was pretty cool and interesting.....in fact, I had to rewind it a few times while watching just to catch a few things that the narrator talked about b/c the documentary moves along quickly and is so jam-packed w/ info. O'Malley was definitely thorough in his research and I don't think any other KC crime history documentaries could ever touch this one!

I have seen O'Malley speak/present at two programs now, and I HIGHLY RECOMMEND everyone to go to his Black Hand Strawman program on 12/14/13 at Mid-Continent Public Library. Very interesting programs/speaker, and he is good at answering questions too!

Stefanie