Come out and meet Anchorage board game enthusiasts and have some fun!
This is the group in Anchorage for people interested in playing contemporary/modern board games, from people who are new and interested in the hobby to those that don’t mind burning hours on an epic game of Twilight Imperium. As far as we know this is the largest and most established public group in Anchorage meeting up for this purpose and has been going on in some form since November 2011. We play a mix of the modern classics and hot things right off the gaming press. Some of the group is open to meeting up for various pen and paper RPGs as well. The typical meetup is on Sundays at various locations, just check the page for detailed info if interested in attending. If you have any ideas for a board game or other gaming relating meetup let one of the organizers.
Here’s a few tips to ensure you’ll have a good time if you show up:
1) The old “classics” (Scrabble, Monopoly, Risk, etc) don’t tend to make much of appearance at our tables. Some of the newer classics (Catan) don’t tend to get much play either. If you show up with an open mind and are willing to learn new games however, you will probably have fun. We definitely don’t mind teaching things.
2) Please RSVP if you are planning on attending. That makes it easier to plan games. If you are going to be late posting a note on the page for the event is helpful. We tend to try and get games going within 30 minutes of a meetup starting; if you show up later than that you may be sitting out until the first round of games finishes up.
3) Each of us have a various amount of games we would like to get to the table and there just isn’t enough time to play all of them in any given meetup. It’s best to not be completely set on playing a certain game getting to the table, as it may not happen in any given week. The group is good about trying new things/replaying games that others want to play, but it may take a week or two for it to happen. Pre-meetup discussion and requests are encouraged.
4) There are definitely some regulars who have been attending for awhile and know each other. Don’t be intimidated, we try to not be insular and maintain a welcoming attitude to new folks who are interested in joining us.
5) Some of us are competitive, but we aren’t sore losers, don’t take it personally if you don’t do so well the first couple playthroughs of any given game.
6) The locations we tend to utilize for the meetup are free to use. Keep this in mind and make sure to tidy up on leaving and be respectful of the space.
7) There are membership dues of $5.00 every 6 months. This supports the meetup page and any other group activities. If you’re new and feeling things out don’t worry, you won’t be asked to pay up right away.
If you have any more questions feel free to email an organizer or post on the discussion board. We hope to see you one of these weeks!