align-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcamerachatcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-crosscrosseditfacebookglobegoogleimagesinstagramlocation-pinmagnifying-glassmailmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1outlookpersonplusImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartwitteryahoo

Anchorage Makers Message Board › Help name our space

Help name our space

Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 73
At our meetup tonight we discussed the importance of the group having a presence on the internet. Before we can do that we need to acquire domain name and that should be the name of the group. Our present name was only meant to be a placeholder of sorts. We can certainly keep that name but we should find out if anybody has any better ideas.

So, if you have an idea for what we should call our makerspace, post it in a reply to this discussion and we'll come up with some way to vote on them. You probably should check to make sure it's not already in use.
Jeff B.
user 12034038
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 2
I think it is important that Alaska Maker Group & Makerspace Anchorage become one organization. Here are my 3 name ideas.

• 907 Maker Group
  • Area 61
  • AKMaker Dojo

Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 74
This is from member Eric...

I like a group name of Anchorage Makers or Makerspace. Why? The term ‘makers’ is gaining popularity, and it’s more accurate and modern than ‘inventors.’

The domain www.AnchorageMakers.com is available.
Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 75
I like the name(s) AnchorageMakers or perhaps AlaskaMakers because of their emphasis on the members instead of the space itself. They both lend themselves to some artistic logo creations with the A's and K's

I also have a suggestion for a sub-title...
'Invention, Innovation, Creativity and Fun'

Dale
Cornelius E.
user 52957342
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 1
I like AnchorageMakers, this gives us room to have an AlaskaMakers group that we would be a subset of. We might be able to pull some other groups out of the wood work, like KodiakMakers, FairbanksMakers, etc.

Thanks,
Corny
A former member
Post #: 1
I like Anchorage Makers too, hard to say with a mouth full of crackers but it is definitive. One of my boys threw out 907Makers and 49Makers. I do like the ring of -something-makerspace, but I really appreciate Dale's observation about emphasizing the makers, not the building we're in.
So I'm reading Dale's reply and my mind starts up on me, a subset name or tagline - hmmm, i3 (imaginary number cubed) - imagination, innovation & invention could work well. So I look it up, and boy, has that been used like a glass of milk in a cookie factory. I still like it though- emphasizes imagination as the basis of all we do.

Tane'
I'm a maker.
Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 76
Ok, how about 'imagination, innovation, creativity and fun'?

Dale
I make therefore I am.
(or is it the other way around?)