addressalign-toparrow-leftarrow-rightbackbellblockcalendarcameraccwcheckchevron-downchevron-leftchevron-rightchevron-small-downchevron-small-leftchevron-small-rightchevron-small-upchevron-upcircle-with-checkcircle-with-crosscircle-with-pluscontroller-playcrossdots-three-verticaleditemptyheartexporteye-with-lineeyefacebookfolderfullheartglobegmailgooglegroupshelp-with-circleimageimagesinstagramFill 1light-bulblinklocation-pinm-swarmSearchmailmessagesminusmoremuplabelShape 3 + Rectangle 1ShapeoutlookpersonJoin Group on CardStartprice-ribbonprintShapeShapeShapeShapeImported LayersImported LayersImported Layersshieldstartickettrashtriangle-downtriangle-uptwitteruserwarningyahoo

Anchorage Makers Message Board › V-rail for linear build systems

V-rail for linear build systems

Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 78
Here's a Kickstarter campaign to produce a modified T-rail system which has a V shape to the channels and allows for precise linear motion. My first thought is how it could be used to make 3D printers and CNC routers but there's no limit, other than your imagination, to what it can do. Check it out.
Nik B.
user 90748192
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 1
Maybe it could be used with a DIY CNC?
Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 80
Nik, if you want to put together a small team, I'll donate 3-1.5m lengths of 20x40mm rail and a couple of wheel kits. I also have some Nema 17 stepper motors (which probably don't have enough torque) and a Printrboard, the output of which is appropriate for the Nema 17 motors. If the project was scaled down to dremel tool size it might all work.
Nik B.
user 90748192
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 2
It's definitely something I'd be interested in doing and I know Luc would work with me on it. I'd like to get more experience with the CNC's first though, luckily I should be able to get some use in the fab lab again pretty soon. And I know that an undergrad from MIT is coming up to Anchorage soon and she is going to teach me more about digital fabrication. It's $800 in supplies to build that which is very cheap for it's size. If I can find a way to get it funded I'd be willing to donate it for the use of Makerspace. Those v-rails should definitely cut the cost!
Dale
daroon
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 81
Here's a smaller open hardware design which does use Nema 17 motors. If you're interested in starting with something like this we should get together and talk.
Nick
user 70252822
Anchorage, AK
I was wondering what a small tool size CNC would be good for, then I saw the PCB etcher at the Maker Faire. If you guys think you can do that, it would be worth it to me to get involved. I've spent a few thousand at Express PCB so I could recoup costs pretty quick with something like this.
Henry L.
user 82789942
Anchorage, AK
I have some 240 oz inch nema 23 motors and a 400 oz inch nema 23 motor
 and the mega sampler pack (4) 1500mm sticks of OpenBuilds V Slot - One of each available size (20 x 20mm, 20 x 40mm, 20 x 60mm, 20 x 80mm). You will also receive 18 OpenBuilds Delrin Dual V Wheel Kits, 16 L Brackets, and 9 Eccentric Spacers.

As soon as we have a place to get all of this together I'll get some regular 80\20 and donate all of this for a cnc table build.

Im envisioning a router and plasma table