Anchorage Trail Runners Message Board › Out of towner

Out of towner

A former member
Post #: 7
Hola,
I'll be in the area from 26 Sep- 1 Oct, and would like to know 2 things: 1) best place "not too far from Anchorage" (i.e. not farther than Denali State Park) to get an awesome photo on top of a mountain (nothing too extreme, technically); 2) best place to see tons of wildlife (bears would be great). I figure I have only 2 good days to do this, and the guy who I'm travelling with isn't nearly as hardcore as I am, but I'm willing to make him suffer immensely so that my 2 things are taken care of on this trip.
Zach
user 46011552
Seattle, WA
Post #: 1
Hey there, there are quite a few good options around the area depending on what exactly you are looking for. Close to town, some more accessible hikes are Near Point and Wolverine Peak.

http://alaskahikesear...­
http://alaskahikesear...­

These aren't technical, but are still pretty high up with a good chance to see wildlife like sheep and moose.

That alaska hike search website has a few others that might pique your interest and are a bit further out of town like Government Peak or Bird Ridge.

Also, as far as moose go, if you don't see any on those hikes, Kincaid Park in town is a pretty good place to run around for an afternoon and have a high chance of seeing some, just don't get too close! For bears... I personally wouldn't seek them out, there is a very real chance for death or serious injury with any close bear encounter.
A former member
Post #: 10
Zach, thanks for the advice. Right now, I'm looking at possibly doing Rainbow Peak and maybe continuing on to Suicide on one day, and a longer trip to either Eagle Peak or do part of the Kusegi Ridge (an out-and-back) on another. I'll check out your suggestions of Government Peak and Bird Ridge, as I haven't looked at them yet. Wolverine Peak looks like it might be a winner.
Zach
user 46011552
Seattle, WA
Post #: 2
Sweet! We just did Rainbow on Sunday. It was a shade steep, but we had awesome views and weather. Let us know how everything turns out!