The Anchorage Adventurers Message Board › Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Gir

Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Girdwood way

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 3
Mat su Ice report. Just wanted to mention that in years past there have been a few lakes out there where people have plowed off skating loops as long as a mile and a half. Im going to check them out and see if they are plowing again this year. The best ones were at Knik Lake, and an unnamed lake near big lake road and parks Hwy. Also there is the big lake ice roads. I skated these a few weeks ago and they were rough but skatable, and they always stay plowed. Also there is the rink and small loop on wasilla lake.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 4
Mat su Ice report.

as a result of a recent high tide, There is some amount of snow free skating under and around the last matanuska river bridge (and its lighted to boot!) Some caution is warranted: There is about 2" of ice then 1" of tidal water, then its froze to the bottom as of friday night. I weigh about 225 and I jumped up and down a bunch of places and sunk a screw a number of places and it seemed to have no troubles. If you go- bring a friend or 2, some rescue gear, and use your head for more than a hat-rack. The surface is glassy most places. If the weather holds it should freeze through by sunday I think.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 5
There is great skatable ice on the matanuska again from about a mile north of palmer to sutton at least. The surface is glassy and very hard so its a must to have sharp skates! It also has some "terrain" to it, its not all perfectly flat but is very fun and unique, and goes through interesting geological areas. Also it was exceptionally windy there today and likely will be for the next few days. I would give it a B or B+ grade. Enjoy!
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 6
Mat su ice report.

All mat su ice is covered in 6 inches of snow as of midnight. Loose and unconsolidated and should blow away if we get any wind sometime soon. Ill repost when conditions change
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 439
Way to stay on top of the updates, Aaron. I hope others will take note that our group is about 'sharing';actual trips, information, rides..... It works best when many rather than just a few contribute. Each person does not need to contribute a lot, just some of what you can.

Tanks for the timely update. Would-have-been sisters, have great day skiing instead it sounds like.
Matt
user 11038548
Girdwood, AK
Post #: 10
40-mile wind gusts in Turnagain Arm blew all the snow off ponds at 20-mile today, revealing smooth ice. Unfortunately, the winds also blew dust on the ice as well.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 7
a 33.3 foot tide at 8 pm saturday. pasted a veneer of skatable ice over the frozen mudflats in the area of the ship creek boat launch going south along the coast. There may very well be skatable ice in other estuaries and coastline around anchorage. The ice has a soft surface hardness, is smooth and clean and B or B- grade from what I saw of it.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 8
Portage area Ice report:
Marsh/pond near placer river overflow glassy and clean with nice soft ice
Marsh/pond near Peterson creek glassy clean soft ice.
20 mile ponds looked clean I didnt skate them.
Portage lake Ice surface has some thin snow cover and some clear areas linked by 50- 100 foot snow walks. Surface has a little roughness and is soft and a little punky but skatable in lots of areas.
Placer river has some snow areas, some nice ice areas and a fair amount of open water probably not worthwhile depending on your motivations.

For something unusual and potentially hazardous there is skatable ice on the turnagain arm tideflats between 1 and 3 miles south of Peterson creek Bridge. It looks like garbage from the highway but is actually fairly smooth and clean in most areas. Hazard number 1 for the first 50 feet from the highway there is broken ice and water in some places and a very poor walk down the snow covered rip rap rocks abutting the highway. Hazard number 2 is small pockets of frozen silt which will trip you up while your skating. Many other serious hazards and dangers to your well being are almost certainly in existence. Dont go by yourself dont go unequipped or inexperienced. Maybe just dont go. Reccomend not skating this but its there for you if you really want it. Again think twice or 3 times before you do this.

It was beautiful sunny and breezy and not too cold sunday, appeared to be clouds moving in when I was leaving sunday night.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 9
Portage ice update. Portage ice continues to be nice. However portage junction pond had too much grit. Petrson creek is still glassy and beautiful othr ponds have mild dust on surface but are still smooth and skatable. Great late seasson skating.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 10
Seward and Moose pass ice report:
As of saturday night there is an astonishing amound of convenient skatable ice between Sterling junction and seward.

Kenai lake: Some smooth ice clear near cooper landing(you can fish in the open water where it flows into the river. Away from there the ice appears 18 inches thich and is smooth. At the seward end of the lake there is lots of clear smooth ice, little open water near the work station and at the tip of seward end. Otherwise appears sound.

Kenai lake beach and slough. At the seward end there is great beach/lagoon /slough skating glassy and soft surface and a very interesting skate not to be missed.

Upper trail lake. The moose pass skating community plows off a few miles of loop and a few rinks on UTL. They had a hockey game going when I was there. Ice is smooth and soft great quality. Thanks so much for plowing this!

Unknown stream mile 5 sterling highway on right. Some skating here.

MP 15 marsh small amount of skating.

Seward near town/harbor: Great skating in town on nice ice at the following locations: 2 frozen baseball fields near beach, pond between cliff and highway near small boat harbor. Parking lot along beach front(camping area) is frozen and skatable and rather unique.

Miscelaneous skating between moose pass and seward on river and marshes nothing spectacular but its there.

Stump marsh and lagoon Seward. Sandwiched between the airport, the coal dock , and the ocean is a large lafgoon that has some cool skating and also there is a stump pocked marsh That is filled with nice ice. Also in this vicinity is a skatable road plastered with ice, and some small amount of ocean ice outside the lagoon. This is not to be missed.

Fabulous skating everywhere here, I keep having to go farther afield to find it! Was exceptionally windy everywhere but clear skies and mild temps.

Mat su ice: Nothing just yet but there is lots of snow transport happening across the hayflats which portends well for monday or tuesday in numerous locations will post later