The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Gir

Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Girdwood way

Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 21
April-Skating

There is still solid ice on Finger Lake. It has a significant amount of texture on it, and would be pretty bumpy without nordic skates. Must be pretty thick, there were a few vehicles driving around on it saturday afternoon.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 24
Ice is beginning to form on lakes in hatcher pass like april bowl holes and summit lake. Not skatable yet but could be good in the next week or two. Possible limited river river skating in the same areas likely in the next 2-3 weeks. Aaron
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 86
Yeah! thanks for the update...keep us posted. BTW Aaron, last spring someone posted incredible photos of fat tire ride up Knik to the glacier. Have you ever done this? Looks like it'd be a blast.
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 25
Skatable ice present on smaller shallower tarns above 4000 ft el in hatcher pass. Ice beginning to form on smaller streams at same elevations but not enough to skate on yet. Thin ice appearing on hayflats but nowhere near ready yet likely in about 2 more weeks.
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 575
We were up at 10,000' today on the Grand Mesa and there is a very thin skim of ice on a few of the many lakes. Hoping and praying to introduce Coloradans to Wider-Skating in a few weeks if it will ever get cold around here.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 88
hope you get that chance, Doug. We all miss you and Mary here!
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 576
According to Jillian Pearce's photos from today, it sure looks like Hidden Lake, from the Glen Alpsa trailhead IS SKATABLE TODAY; and it is only a 2 hour walk (or less by bike, little or no snow on Powerline Rd it looks like in her photos) and WOW EARLIEST ICE EVER and close, for wilder skating.

Cut and paste this url into your browser to see one of her photos of the lake. I could not add this photo directly from Facebook

http://www.facebook.c...­
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 27
Scored the first ice of the year tonight. it was all of an inch thick and cracked and popped like mad but it was proper gorgeous, and surprisingly strong.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 90
where Aaron? I was thinking of checking out Potters Marsh tomorrow..maybe it's frozen? In any case most of it isn't too deep and if one does fall in the car is nearby.
Greg P.
user 13376216
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 304
where Aaron? I was thinking of checking out Potters Marsh tomorrow..maybe it's frozen? In any case most of it isn't too deep and if one does fall in the car is nearby.

I'd be very cautious about Potters Marsh right now. We're just coming off a week or so of daytime temps in the 40s. Now we've had a couple days of hard frost, but I'd like to see several weeks of really cold temps before going out on the ice in lowland areas. Why risk it?