The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › beginers list of supplies for a single overnight backpack

beginers list of supplies for a single overnight backpack

A former member
Post #: 1
I am new to hiking and back packing and I would like to know if you have a list of stuff that is the bare minimum a person should have to go on a over night back pack trip. I have a pretty good idea of the minimums I am thinking: sleeping bag,
tent
sleeping pad
water or water filtration system
food (light weight preferable- several snack things for while on the trail)
camping stove of some sort
dining kit of some sort
first aid kit
flash light
swiss army knife?

perhaps a gun or some bear encounter device?

My assumption would be that as I get more into hiking and backpacking my list will grow/change...

any advice is appreciated.
Greg P.
user 13376216
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 454
We don't allow guns at our events, but bear spray is strongly encouraged.
A former member
Post #: 2
thats good to know (I don't have a gun) LOL I just got that from a list off the internet... :)
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 128
Hi Rebecca!
It's so awesome that you have such enthusiasm for the outdoors! I noticed you're new to Ak and wondered if you've done much car camping to start. We have some great camping events coming up pretty much every weekend and most of those offer dayhikes too. Our Hope weekend in early August would be perfect for kids, the Pink fishing in Hope is non-stop action for the little ones and it's actually where many Alaskan kids learn to fish. ..plus we'll have easy and difficult hikes. This way you could ease into camping.

Backpacking is not all fun (and I LOVE it). Often one is cold, wet, and tired when backpacking....plus, when you bring kids invariably you must carry some of their gear because they just aren't strong enough. And you'll need to be responsible for them while you're learning to set up tent and organize your camp. It's alot of work when you first learn. If it's raining and you're trying to set up new tent it can be frustrating. Better to practice being outdoorsy while car camping, kicking back with a beer and campfire after the kids go to bed.

My suggestion if you really want to backpack is to get lightweight gear (sleeping bag and pad )but practice on car camp trips. If your goal is definitely to backpack w/ your kids you'll need to get really light (expensive) stuff. There will be a backpack trip geared to beginners and families in August and you're welcome to attend...whole purpose of trip will be learning so we'll all be there to help each other with tents, gear, etc.

It kind of took me several years in AK before I started accumulating backpacking gear...I started hikes, then car camping and kayaking and eventually got into backpacking....by then I had much of my gear so it wasn't such a huge financial output. Hope this has been helpful...really hoping to meet you soon!

maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 129
Also, just thought of this...good way to ease into backpacking is to hike into Public Use cabins.. they're located all over Ak, most need to be hiked to. They do tend to fill up quickly but if you're free on weekedays they tend to be easier to get. There is nice cabin in Crow Pass near glacier that you may be able to get for weekday...it's on reserve.gov website.
A former member
Post #: 4
My profile may be a bit deceiving, I am not new to Alaska, I have lived here for 8 years, I am new to Anchorage area, we lived in Wasilla and did some things out that way. New to hiking and definitely new to back packing. But I have used tents before and my kids do really well with the hiking (I am what holds them back!). I definitely do not want to go out camping and get into a situation that I can't handle and I am GRATEFUL for the advice, we are probably just going to continue to do the day trips for now adding more gear to our packs each time so we work out way up to a heavy pack. I just need a list of stuff to get to start the searching. My kids are proficient at fishing and that trip you mentioned sounds like it would be a good deal. We will probably join!

Thanks!
A former member
Post #: 2
I've hiked to that cabin and it is amazing spot!! I loved that hike was a nice surprise. My kids and I checked the cabin out, but did not stay overnight.

When will the details/meet up be posted about the Hope camping trip?
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 130
Oh, sorry, Rebecca..did think you were new from Florida...no offense meant! To Breezie-Hope meetup is on calendar already for Aug 11 (Hope Point.....)
A former member
Post #: 143
Some kind of bear box or bag

Lightweight camping chairs are great
Sylvia M.
user 4057014
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 1
Rebecca send me you email address and I will send you a list distributed by Ted A. a couple of years ago.
sylvia_maiellaro@yahoo.com.