The Anchorage Adventurers Message Board › Thanksgiving . . . .

Thanksgiving . . . . for the past 3 years between 2 or 3 or 8 to 10 Adventurers descend on Utah for thanksgiving

Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Thanksgiving  . . . .

In the middle of summer I am thinking about where to do the November feast.
Those who have been in the group a while know that our founding members - Doug & Mary, who have moved to western Colorado - have created a tradition of going to a national park and having an outdoor Thanksgiving dinner/ potluck each year.
There have had between 25-45 people attend, bringing turkeys, all the side fixings and all the desserts you could ever imagine at mom's or grandma's table. It is a great event. Here is a link to last year in Zion.

The lady on the left, Laurie, was one of 3 or 4 Alaskans who came to dinner 2011. Emma, on the right, lived in Utah at the time of the 2011 dinner since has moved to Portland and came back for 2012. The fellow in the background is the one up top of this page with the flag apron on, pre-cooking turkeys there that he is serving at the end of the table in this photo.
In the heat of summer I am thinking of national parks that may make a destination for the 4th annual event at Thanksgiving 2014.
I just looked at weather averages and Chaco Canyon temperatures are almost identical to what we experienced at Capitol Reef; so potentially quite pleasant.
Canyonlands NP has almost identical average temperatures.
Natural Bridges Natl Monument - you guessed it - same average temperatures.

I am leaning toward Canyonlands because there is

• so very much hiking (and dirt road mtn biking) to be done there
  • the campground a Squaw Flats has numerous hikes right from the campsite
  • Moab and Monticello are close enough that if people want to re-supply or stay indoors those are practical
  • drive time and distance are reasonable from either Colorado or Utah
  • we have been there before, in 2011, and loved it

We are also considering 2 of the real gems in the Utah state park system. There is plenty of hiking in and near each of these but any appreciable town is a bit far away.
Goblin Valley or
Kodachrome­
Any thoughts on where?
Are you ready to mark your calendar for thanksgiving?
Doug Van Etten 970-433-4312
Cooper
user 129740202
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 4
Last Thanksgiving was wonderful -- count me in for NEXT year :-)
Bill B.
user 4532466
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 19
My sister lives in Wheatridge, Colorado and is always bugging me about not visiting so I am interested in adding this on to my November trip since they will be traveling during Thanksgiving. The only important thing to me is the start date and end date so I can plan airplane reservations.
Sylvia M.
user 4057014
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 11
Also went last year and had a great great time!!