The Anchorage Adventurers Message Board › Sponsorship ---- The Las Vegas Rock Climbing Group does this and I wonder wh

Sponsorship ---- The Las Vegas Rock Climbing Group does this and I wonder what our group might think of the idea?

Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Hello fellow climbers! It is Meetup Las Vegas Rock Climbing dues time again.

Rather than collect $1 per person per event like some of the clubs do, I AM LOOKING FOR FOLKS TO SPONSOR THE NEXT 6 MONTHS DUES (July - December).

If you'd like to be acknowledged with the title "Sponsor for the month of xxx" by your name on the site, please RSVP yes and pay here . I will email you all again once we've received 6 sponsors. THANKS EVERYBODY!!!

I saw the sponsorship idea on the LV Rock Climbing site awhile back and thought it might accomplish a few things with our group:
1. If we make "sponsorship" say $150, it is enough to cover the web site and any picnic shelter or meeting room rental we might have for a 1st Monday meeting. That would open up lots of opportunities for meeting locations if we had a little "kitty" of cash.

2. The sponsor could do it annonymously if they wanted; personally as an individual or family; or, as a promotion for their business. I think if we were to have people interested (myself and at least 8 or 10 other business people in the group have expressed interest) we could say that the "sponsor" had to participate in at least "__ X ___ " number of activities in the 3 months prior to begin taken on as a sponsor. That way sponsorships would only come from active Adventurers group participants. I have noticed we do have some "business people" who have tried to weasel in on business opportunities for themselves while not really participating in the group.

Please share your thoughts on this idea with me directly; or, better yet at the Message Board thread "Sponsorship".

Doug Van Etten
Adventurers MeetUp Organizer
244-6610 vanetten @ alaska.net
A former member
Post #: 2
Hey Doug I would love to contribute something. I am not able to sponsor but if there a way I could pitch in $20 to help you with the cost of the website, I would love too. :) Thank you for providing this service for all of us.
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 64
Hey Doug I would love to contribute something. I am not able to sponsor but if there a way I could pitch in $20 to help you with the cost of the website, I would love too. :) Thank you for providing this service for all of us.

Thanks Lisa. If you come to the "First Monday" evening social gathering we often ask at that time for individual contributions.

It has also been suggested that maybe we have 3 or 4 or 5 "sponsors" each month for $20 or $25 each.
Jo
user 4070271
Group Organizer
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 10
I think $150 in a lump sum is a lot of money for most people, especially given current price increases. But folks can generally come up with $20-$25 easily - just brown bag lunch for a week!- and are willing to do so for such an important part of our lives as the Adventurers.....We haven't been asked to help out since last summer, so we are way past due to make a contribution. Maybe we should calendar Contribution Time as a quarterly subject for meetings........
Thanks for keeping us going in the meantime, Doug.
Gerry K.
user 4103016
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 7
I would agree, something in the $20 to $25 range would be an affordable donation for most folks once in a while. And, $10 to $15 would be even more affordable. And, it would help if we had some very simple and convenient mechanism for our members to make such donations. How about something like the following?

Why not periodically post on the Meetup website a Meetup event called "Quarterly Sponsorship" (or something similar). No actual meeting or attendance need occur. Rather, each person responding with a "Yes" RSVP would just write a check (for some suggested amount) and mail it to the Meetup Group Sponsorship Fund at some given address. The Meetup event might be limited to X number of possible donors. And we could eliminate the "Maybe" and "No" RSVP categories. This makes things about as simple as paying a monthly utility bill (with which we're all too familiar). When the donation goal is achieved, then those X donors could maybe receive recognition somewhere, maybe on this Meetup Message Board.

I'm sure there would be some work and thought involved in setting this up, but it seems workable. Any discussion or comment?
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 67
Great idea, Gerry. Lets work on details of that over the coming month and at some point soon implement that or something along that line.
A former member
Post #: 3
Well, just to jump the gun a little what's the address?-- My check(measly as it is) will be in the mail first thing Monday: )
How should I make it out-- or should I leave that open?
Gerry K.
user 4103016
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 8
Lisa-
We haven't quite nailed down details (like a mailing address) yet. But, there is some progress. I've today e-mailed to Doug some draft text for a Sponsorship Event.
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 64
Your idea as you laid it out looks great, Gerry.