The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › Backcountry ski touring

Backcountry ski touring

A former member
Post #: 3
Hey everyone,
I'd like to try backcountry ski touring this winter and am wondering if anybody has an advice/suggestions for beginners (best kind of skis to start out with, techniques, good places to go, groups to go with...) I've checked out the anchorage nordic ski association's website and they have a touring group that I'm planning on going out with but would like to meet up with other adventurers in the know who would be willing to show me the ropes and go on trips this winter.
Thanks! smile
Jenny
A former member
Post #: 2
Hey Jenny, I'm interested in the same thing. Let me know if you get any updates or if you need a willing partner for learn-as-you-go. -Thomas :- )
Brooke
user 9915356
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 5
Jenny and Thomas- I'm in the same boat, and am considering signing up for the "early" set of lessons through parks and rec so that I am up to speed for some of the adventurer's outings. Maybe we can schedule some starter trips and see if we can't get some experienced people to join us once the snow falls?
Jim
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 23
Last I remember Doug __LOVES__ (I mean really LOOOOVES) to host gear meetups at REI to talk about good gear for doing stuff. Sounds like there might be enough people interested to maybe rope Doug into doing it.
A former member
Post #: 1
I am in the same vote, I would love to join you in learning if possible.
Jennifer
Jim
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 27
After talking with Doug, he told me:

"As for gear talks - they have become willing to do them for us at lunch
times and it is much better that way since they know all the latest gear."

So, any thoughts on a good day to set one up?
Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 253
Any dates that you line up with REI will be good for some people and not for others, Fun-gi. So, you and REI work out a date(s) and let's get 'em on the calendar.
A former member
Post #: 3
i am interested also, i am in jennys boat
Amy M
user 4518535
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 22
Once enough snow falls, I can organize some "easy" backcountry ski touring trips in the Hillside area, in particular the Far North Bicentennial Park. These short trips can be done after work, to get ski muscles in shape. I usually organize a backcountry ski trip to Williwaw Lakes in December and that's a good trail for beginners, along with S. Fork of Eagle River trail back towards Eagle/Symphony Lakes. And I'm sure I'll spend time backcountry skiing in the Bird Creek area again this winter, which is an interesting trail with twists and turns and ups and downs and sometimes climbing over trees. biggrin You usually can't go backcountry ski touring in Alaska without doing some bushwhacking!
A former member
Post #: 2
I'm in Thomas and Jennys Boat, definitely interested in backcountry ski touring. Sign me up.