The Anchorage Adventurers Meetup Group Message Board › Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Gir

Ice skating reports - outdoor ice skating in Anchorage, the Valley, down Girdwood way

Doug Van E.
Fruita, CO
Post #: 390
Hey Adventurers here comes the cold weather. I imagine that many of the lakes and ponds have snow on them and may not be skatable even with a good hard freeze this week.

Please take a look, better yet go chip away at the ice to determine the thickness and brush away the snow to determine if the ice is smooth or rough, then report your findings to the Adventurers Message Board thread on ice conditions. You can link to that thread right here http://www.meetup.com...­

Matt said he will let us know about ponds near Girdwood. Jim and others in the Valley, how are the Kepler-Bradley Lakes looking or the large lakes like Finger and Wasilla? Anyone been out toward Jim Lake and Creek? In Anchorage how about skating possibilities on Conner or Baxter Bogs (Jesica? Judith or Beth?)?

How about Westchester Lagoon? Is Goose Lake clear of snow (or will skates cut through whatever snow is there?)?

You get the idea. . . . please share with all what you observe or experience on lakes, ponds, marshes or creeks where we may all skate.

Hope to see you on the ice real soon.

Doug Van Etten
907-244-6610
Matt
user 11038548
Girdwood, AK
Post #: 3
Ponds along Turnagain Arm south-east of Girdwood are now frozen and stable. However, it is blowing hard from the west today, likely coating the ice with the silt lifted off the mud flats exposed at low tide. I'll check this weekend to see if any areas escaped the dust storm.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 48
I think I'll check out Potter's marsh on Thurs and if it looks good I wanna skate there on Sat afternoon. if anyone else wants to chime in
A former member
Post #: 1
Just checked out Cheney Lake and did a bit of skating. Snow cover over most of it but can be skated through quite easily. Ice under is not glass smooth. A bit bumpy or dimpled.

Cheers...Bill
A former member
Westchester Lagoon is smooth and fast. I stayed on the north side, taking advantage of the lights along Chester trail and never heard a crack or moan from the ice. Little if any dust and it's as good as any time I remember from last year.
Matt
user 11038548
Girdwood, AK
Post #: 4
The skating is great right now at the big shallow pond along the Seward Highway south of Girdwood at mile 87. I plan to be skating there Saturday afternoon (Nov. 20), if anyone wants to join me. The other ponds between Girdwood and Portage have a thin coating of dust from the winds earlier this week.
maureen
user 4292948
Anchorage, AK
Post #: 49
Finally got out to Potters Marsh today..in a word-awesome! We skated so far we got lost in the fog and had trouble finding the car! If it doesn't snow this week I'll post an outing there for Thanksgiving AM.
Matt
user 11038548
Girdwood, AK
Post #: 5
Portage, 5 stars!
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
MAt su Ice report

There is freaking oodles of skatable Ice all over the hayflat, mudflat, matanuska river from the hayflats bridge all the way to sutton and King river if you can believe it! Also skatable- eska creek near sutton, wasilla creek from palmer fishhook upstream to moose range, cottonwood creek at the mudflats off fairview loop. All ice is spectacullar amd smooth. all ice except matanuska is A- matanuska is C+ B-
Aaron
user 11656384
Wasilla, AK
Post #: 2
The snowfall last night pretty much killed all the skating opportunities out in the valley. However if we get some wind before the snow solidifies, it could be back soon.